Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

out of date SCSI controller annoyances

• Please log in to reply

exitfromreality

exitfromreality

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Im trying to add a SCSI drive to my computer to boot from. I aquired a seagate cheetah 10K rpm drive and a SCSI controller card from where I work and figured it would make a nice zippy boot drive. Ive run into problems. Windows knows its a SCSI card and the drive works just fine right now as a secondary drive while im in Windows XP pro. If I try to install windows onto it I run into problems. Ive hit F6 and inserted the floppy (arent those things extinct?) disk and windows installer will recognize the drive and let me install windows on it, but when I restart to continue the windows installer the drive wont boot. If I leave the windows CD in the drive it wants to restart the install process like I never stated, and if I take it out the computer says there is no boot device. I tried to set the SCSI drive to boot in BIOS (I have an Intel P4 HT motherboard thats acctually an intel brand MB so its nothing weird) but BIOS doesnt even acknoledge it exists.

I have come to realise that the SCSI card is an ATTO Technology UL2S which seems to not have XP drivers. So its very old, but windows has generic drivers for it and they work just fine now, I just need BIOS to know what it is. Any suggestions? I may be able to flash the card BIOS, but it sounds like you have to hit a key combination during the ATTO logo during boot, which never appears, either because it is taken over by the Intel Desktop Board logo or because BIOS doesnt recognize it.

so yea, any suggestions? Buy a newer SCSI card can be one of them, but im hopeing I can get this one to work as its $100 I dont have to spend.

thanks
-Colin

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Quite a lot of BIOSes (even very recent ones) just don't want to know when you ask them to boot off a drive that is connected to an expansion card, in your case your SCSI card.

Or (and this is the more likely scenario) the card doesn't support being a boot block. BIOS will see it but not as a boot device, the age of the card means it can't support it (when these sorts of cards were common they were often used and/or designed as extra ports as the boards of the time only had one SCSI port on it and thus pushed the price to some ridiculous level).