Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intense Lagg

• Please log in to reply

kylewhitaker

kylewhitaker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
well i just bought a HP Pavillion dv5000 laptop , and i have had it for about a month. Well one day i power it up and its like its lagging very badly .. as if I had way to many programs running .... which i have like 44 processes running and like 77% memory usage. I cant play songs or they sound really choppy so im not too sure .. i have a warranty and i might just take it back and be like ya.. its broke lol .. but my computer has a 2.0 amd turion 64 bit processor and 2048 Ram and 15" widescreen .. but i cant system restore it says that it can not be completed .. it says theres been no changes made to my computer .. and i have uninstalled a few programs and i try to go back before i installed anything and it just says that its incomplete .. so i dont know. I have webroot spysweeper and i have ran that and that didnt work eitehr . I ran adaware and all tehy are finding are tracking cookies.. so im not sure . well if anyone knows anything that i can do any help is appreciated :whistling:

Sincerely

Kyle

Edited by kylewhitaker, 02 July 2006 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Right click application and choose CLEAR ALL EVENTS, do not save the log
Right click system and choose CLEAR ALL EVENTS, do not save the log

Reboot. Work with computer until error recurs. reboot

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

kylewhitaker

kylewhitaker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
k it has one error .. and it says

\Device\ACPIEC: The embedded controller (EC) hardware didn't respond within the timeout period. This may indicate an error in the EC hardware or firmware, or possibly a poorly designed BIOS which accesses the EC in an unsafe manner. The EC driver will retry the failed transaction if possible.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

so ya ... does that mean my actual hardware is going bad .. or does that mean that i should try reinstalling certain drivers ?

Sincerely

Kyle

kylewhitaker

kylewhitaker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
B U M P
U P Y O
M S
P T

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it coud mean that hardware is going bad, specifically the ide controller that is used by the CD-rom and harddrive.

It sounds like the controller is polling one device and is waiting for a response before it will talk to the other.

This was a known problem on some HP computers and was addressed with a BIOS update

Visit www.hp.com and see if they have a BIOS update (there are multiple versions of the dv5000 so make certain you get the RIGHT one.