Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Firefox problems (suspect Zonealarm)

• Please log in to reply

mirbeau

mirbeau

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yesterday I had major problems with my network and zonealarm. Sorted both but it has left my mozilla in a bit of a mess.

Gifs don't work. I installed latest version from site (1.5.0.4) to see if this would sort the problem, but it hasn't. I tried the ideas give here (http://kb.mozillazin...Animated_images) but this didn't sort it either.

Also have a problem when downloading videos. Before yesterday, would show percentage of download, but now it looks like this

Posted Image

And when finished, some of the files do not work when opened in real player.

The thing is, this happened last year, but an update for Zonealarm sorted it, and it has been working fine up to yesterday.

I have the feeling that this is a problem that has been bought up before, and if so I'm sorry for bringing it up again :whistling:

All help would be amazing, this problem is not the end of the world, but it is not a lot of fun to have.

Thanks a lot for any replies :blink:

Edit: Had a look through search, tried a few of the suggestions, including testing firewall (didn't work), turning off blocking pop ups in zone alarm (hasn't worked) I've noticed this is the same on IE, but I can't remember if GIFs were working before on it (been a while since I've used it for longer than a few secs)

Edited by mirbeau, 02 July 2006 - 05:12 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello mirbeau and welcome to geekstogo,
what where the major problems that occured, the more information you give the easier it'll be for me to help you out with your little problem.
Also have you tried disabling Zone Alarm for a moment to see if it was in case zone alarm and working well when disabled.
Is zone alarm fully up to date?
Do you have windows firewall enabled as well?
thanx
James

mirbeau

mirbeau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well it was a series of problem tbh. (note that my dad who set up home network helped me through these problems, so wasn't just trying random things ^^)

First was that network card was not working so was not picking up home network. So unistalled the software, re started then re installed, and it worked fine and has been for rest of the day..well...sort of (this explained in next problem) We're 100% sure it was my card as my sister's computer, which runs on same network worked fine while mine was not.

Then my zone alarm began to act up. Can't remember the error message that was coming up atm (it's 00.16 here ^^) but the error message on zonealarm was "System error, restart program" (might not be quite correct) It was causing firefox and IE to not load any pages. So we re installed and it has been working fine, apart from said problems with animated images.

I did indeed disable and re fresh page with animated images that had been working before, but no luck. I also tried the pop up option suggested in another post but no luck.

The zonealarm is up to date (says Firewall is up to date and ran auto update and said it was up to date)

Edit: oh and yes i do have windows firewall on

Edited by mirbeau, 02 July 2006 - 05:28 PM.

mirbeau

mirbeau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok this is getting very strange, it's got to the stage where some gifs are working, others aren't, some are stopping and then start working again.

Working:

Not working:

Posted Image

Stopped working and now is:

I'm one tired and confused person.

Images removed as they are no longer needed

Edited by Keith, 02 July 2006 - 06:17 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
firstly please turn windows firewall off!
tell me if it starts working. You should only have one firewall working at any one time on your computer, having more then one will cause nothing but odd problems.
thanx
James

mirbeau

mirbeau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry to triple post (-_-') but all of those gifs are working >< And now even downloading videos, even though not into %'s are working in realplayer.

I tried clearing cache and closing and re opening firefox and they started working, but not sure if this has totally sorted problem. Really really sorry for spamming, but felt it was best to give all info as it appeared.

Edit: [bleep] thing lied to me, windows firewall is off ^^ Gah too sleepy! :whistling:

Edited by mirbeau, 02 July 2006 - 05:45 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
no problem at all, you whern't spamming at all and your right, its best to be as deataild as possible.
So everything is working now?
James

mirbeau

mirbeau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It would appears so. Hopefully after shutdown and when turn on monday, will still be working ok. Thanks for listening and replying :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
no problem. If you have any problem at all later on feel free to get back to me. I'd be glade to help
thanx
James

mirbeau

mirbeau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you and goodnight! :whistling: