Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to use DVD-Ram discs

• Please log in to reply

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I'm looking for help on the use of RAM-discs.

I have a brand new Samsung +/- RW WRITER SH-S162L.

Normally a RAM disc could be used as an HD within Explorer; adding files and deleting them; of course when the disc is loaded only.

This doesn't seem to wotk however. Do I need to load extra special drivers on top of the one's that were automatically loaded with my Writer ?

According to the specifications of the drive it should be possible to use RAM discs. I can record on them and play them back; but only erase the full disc.

Advertisements

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
This thing still isn't solved. I mean why can I only erase the full disc ?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Maybe here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM

Windows XP Home and Professional can only write directly to FAT32-formatted DVD-RAM discs. For UDF-formatted discs, which are considered faster, compatible device drivers or software such as InCD or DLA are required. Windows Vista can natively access and write to both FAT32 and UDF-formatted DVD-RAM discs though Vista uses its own version of the UDF format giving compatibility problems. Vista also has issues with XP formatted FAT32 discs as Vista uses the CPRM features. Even though it is possible to use any file system one likes, only very few perform well on DVD-RAM. This is because some file systems frequently over-write data on the disc and the table of contents is contained at the start of the disc.

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks, never thought this could be found in the WIKI. And ... well this "...though Vista uses its own version of the UDF format giving compatibility problems", is just another reason why I love Vista :)

Edited by JimB007, 05 February 2009 - 09:07 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
But....I'd like to know, if that info was of any help in solving your problem.

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
No, I can't delete single files on the DVD-RAM, but now I guess it must have to do something in the way the disc was preformatted. Thanks anyway.