Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony DVD-RW DL CD Detection Problems

• Please log in to reply

Exdeus

Exdeus

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello all.

I have a Sony DVD RW DRU-800A burner on my machine. I have it installed as the slave drive (or secondary). My main drive is a generic DVD-rom that came on my machine (custom built). Now, when I first installed my Sony drive, everything worked wonderfully.

However, for some reason, it now will not detect blank cd-r's or cd-rw's. I have no idea why, it just stopped randomly one day a few months ago. So, I can burn a DVD and such, but I cannot burn a CD, as it just keeps telling me to insert a blank disc.

When I inserted a DL DVD-R tonight, Windows XP came up and prompted me to burn a CD, but gave no mention of any options for a DVD. When I put in a blank cd-rom, nothing happened at all.

I have the latest firmware and drivers installed, so any information anyone could give me on this would be great!

Thanks a ton,

Exdeus

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Here is a possible fix from M$: http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q316529 drive not recordable. Be sure to follow their precautions regarding messing with the registry.

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

When you attempt to burn data to a compact disc recordable (CD-R) drive or compact disc rewritable (CD-RW) drive, you may not have the option to send data to the CD-ROM drive.

When you view the properties of the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive, you may notice that the Recording tab is not displayed in the CD Drive (drive_letter:) Properties dialog box, where drive_letter is the letter of the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive.

Note To view the CD Drive (drive_letter:) Properties dialog box, click Start, click My Computer, right-click the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive that you want, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.

Do you really think that would be the solution? I really appreciate the reply, but I don't have the second issue. The Recording tab is there and active with all the normal properties. It just simply won't detect and cd-r, it just spins it to no end.

Either way, I will back up my registry and try it I suppose.

Thank you for the reply!