Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer suddenly shuts down?!

• Please log in to reply

thenewkid

thenewkid

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok I have a Toshiba Laptop with plenty of space, 3.2ghz and 512ram. The problem is whenever I play games on my laptop, after 10-30 min, my computer suddenly shuts down. This NEVER happened before and I never had problems playing games but now it's happening. I know something is wrong and I need help. :whistling: :blink:

Advertisements

Dustinduse

Dustinduse

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
My laptop cant run games b/c they crash with a virtualy memery error... do you have lots? and are they some games and not others?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Have you check you Event Vewer in Administrative Tools?
You may have corrupted video drivers. Try downloading fresh diver and reinstall.

thenewkid

thenewkid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well actually, 2 weeks ago, I had a blue screen appear when playing a game. It said some weird stuff like "0000X000", something like that. It also said something about memory dumps?? Then after that blue screen, my computer started shutting down when playing games. So I think it's about that blue screen? :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Although I cannot say for sure, I'm going to take a stab at the issue here and say that your laptop is overheating. Which video card do you have installed? Does this happen with all games, or just some? Does this ever happen when you're not playing games? When did this start? Have you made any changes to your system recently?

thenewkid

thenewkid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Radeon 9000 IGP(I know it's crap) video card I think. The shutting down all happens to my games and it never shut down when I'm not playing......yet. This started like I said, about 2 weeks ago. The only system change I did was when I downloaded a new driver for my video card because the blue screen started to appear. But instead of fixing the blue screen, the computer now shuts down. So maybe I should uninstall the driver? It's called something like "DNA Driver".

thenewkid

thenewkid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I guess no one knows how to fix this? :blink: :whistling:

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

Well actually, 2 weeks ago, I had a blue screen appear when playing a game. It said some weird stuff like "0000X000", something like that. It also said something about memory dumps?? Then after that blue screen, my computer started shutting down when playing games. So I think it's about that blue screen? :whistling:

Does this appear in the BSOD or in the Event Viewer? The exact message is very important to help diagnose your problem.

Start> Programs> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer

Edited by acklan, 07 July 2006 - 02:29 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you need to read between the lines

When something shuts completely down, it is due to either heat or powersupply issues

Many systems today will shut down if the cpu is getting dangerously hot.

Since it is a laptop, they are particularly difficult to clean, but if I had the machine in front of me, the first thing I would do is take a vaccuum to the vents.

Next, I would elevate the laptop and take a small fan and blow it across the undersize/back (whereever intake is) and test this out.

You can also download everest from our download section and then save and ATTACH the report to your next post so we can see what temperature you are running at

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
btw--acklan gave you some good advice too, it may give us a hint if heat does not turn out to be the issue.

Also, the blue screen error you got earlier should show up as a red x in the system or application section

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Another possibilty is bad capacitors. I have had two boards display similar symtoms.

http://www.badcaps.net/