Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating in fullscreen games

• Please log in to reply

rmco2003

rmco2003

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
My computer's fine most of the time, but whenever I launch a program that runs in fullscreen, it starts chucking out a massive amount of heat. My graphics card has it's own seperate fan taking up a PCI slot, and that goes to maximum power.

My specs are:

3.2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 Processor with Hyperthreading

1 Gb RAM

ATI X850 Platinum Edition Graphics Card

I've got one side-fan and one fan at the back, I have two at the front but at the moment they're disconnected as they make too much noise when operating.

I'm using the default CPU fan that came with my processor, and if I put my hand to the side-fan now it seems a little warm, but otherwise fine, but guarunteed if I start up a fullscreen game now, within up to 30 seconds it'll be dangerously hot.

Can anyone offer some insight into this?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Check for any dust and clean up. Sometimes dust can get caught in the fans, thus causing them to not work properly.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Dangerously hot? Download Everest Home

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The manufacturer stopped distributing Everest a little while ago, so it may be hard to find. Use this link to download and save time :whistling: http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Dangerously hot? Download Everest Home Edition (Just type that into google) and post your results here. Click on computer and sensor and you will get tempreature readings. After playing a demanding game for some time close the game and then open Everest and sensor and print screen the results and post here.

AS for your graphics card it might have come with a tempreature sensor which allows you to check the tempreature via the ATI Catalyst Control Center however if ATI Overdrive is not there then you cannot check the temp of your graphics card so simply (if you have one) get a digital thermometer and place it on the heatsink after playing a demanding game and write the result here or just touch it and estimate or just tell us if it is too hot to touch or toasty but mild enough too touch etc.

I would advise you to have more outake then intake and to turn on those 2 fans and see if it makes a diffrence.

My P4 3.0Ghz never went above 53 C even under stress with the Stock cooler, now iot never goes above 41C, so yours cannot be too far off the mark and tell us if you have overclocked anything or not.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Thanks stormknight :whistling:

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Well I can tell you that my CPU is usually above 60C so that's got to mean something's wrong, I'll try out everest later on.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Try it and give us all the reuslts :whistling:

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Here's the results of what the sensors are showing, this is without running a game in fullscreen, I minimised it to get the results.

[quote]--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer RHYS-BEDROOM (Rhys' Computer)
Generator Rhys
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2006-07-04
Time 15:15

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83627HF (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type National LM63 (ATI-I2C 4Ch)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 32 °C (90 °F)
CPU 74 °C (165 °F)
Aux 50 °C (122 °F)
GPU 64 °C (147 °F)
GPU Ambient 57 °C (135 °F)
Seagate ST360020A 44 °C (111 °F)
SAMSUNG SP0812C 36 °C (97 °F)

Cooling Fans:
Chassis 2250 RPM
Power Supply 2220 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.28 V
Aux 1.49 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 4.95 V
+12 V 11.80 V
-12 V -12.12 V
-5 V -4.29 V
+5 V Standby 4.99 V
VBAT Battery 3.26 V
Debug Info F FF 4B 4C
Debug Info T 32 74 50
Debug Info V 50 5D CE B8 C2 22 44 (01)

Edited by rmco2003, 04 July 2006 - 11:37 PM.

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
The mobo and aux temps are a bit hot, but well within limits, but your CPU and GPU are looking way too hot. My CPU runs at about 40C and 45C under load with 3 fans running (2 case, 1 processor), and ive been told it will run upto 90C before it completly screws up, and that 70C generally means a problem.
Unfortunatly i cant think what might be causing this, apart from maybe a short or dust buildup. Are either the CPU or GPU overclocked atall, as this could contribute. Also do you have a fan on your GPU?

Edited by fnark, 04 July 2006 - 09:02 AM.

Advertisements

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have a very big fan on my GPU, maybe the problem could be related to thermal paste? I didn't apply any before installing the CPU fan. I haven't even touched overclocking whatsoever on my GPU or CPU.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok
Try the following.

If you are using the supplied stock intel fan then you didnt need to apply thermal paste as it came with applied thermal pad.
Remove the processor fan and heatsink and clean up thermal paste/pad using High Purity Isopropyl Alchol also clean the bottom of the heatsink, use lint free clothes to clean or cotton buds dip the cotton buds into the alachol and clean gently avoiding components etc.

Reapply with new thermal paste prefarbly arctic silver 5.

Repeat for GPU.

Check for dust clean as nesseceray.
Those are whopping tempratures that is a serious problem.
Your hard drive is running a bit warm mine never go over 32 C.
But as for your CPU and GPU..... whoah.
What everest is this>? mine doesnt tell me my mobo temps or aux or anything like that.
Only CPU and hard drives.
Good luck.

Edited by Mitesh, 04 July 2006 - 03:36 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It will tell you if you have the sensors if you dont have them it wont tell you, we are mostly going with PCwizard2006 for diagnostics as its not discontinued an important factor. That and i thinks its better than everest.

Your GPU is warm, you might want to get an aftermarket cooler for it if its the stock one, unless its a prefitted artic or zalman i would get a arctic or zalman for it keep it cool.

Your CPU is far to hot asuming accuracy, you might want to get an aftermarket coolers if they dont sufficiently improve after thourough cleaning.

PS if you could remove everything after debug pci in the spec list we dont need it and its very long.

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Here's a report done without using fullscreen games with the computer

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer RHYS-BEDROOM (Rhys' Computer)
Generator Rhys
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2006-07-05
Time 06:38

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83627HF (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type National LM63 (ATI-I2C 4Ch)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 27 °C (81 °F)
CPU 56 °C (133 °F)
Aux 50 °C (122 °F)
GPU 55 °C (131 °F)
GPU Ambient 50 °C (122 °F)
Seagate ST360020A 34 °C (93 °F)
SAMSUNG SP0812C 28 °C (82 °F)

Cooling Fans:
Chassis 2220 RPM
Power Supply 2250 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.33 V
Aux 1.49 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 4.95 V
+12 V 11.86 V
-12 V -11.95 V
-5 V -4.40 V
+5 V Standby 4.99 V
VBAT Battery 3.26 V
Debug Info F FF 4C 4B
Debug Info T 27 56 50
Debug Info V 53 5D CE B8 C3 24 42 (01)

The temperatures are significantly lower this time, just to show you that my computer really gets hot when it runs in fullscreen.

It could be that the air flow isn't reaching the processor, there are a lot of cables in the way.. Maybe if I repositioned the cables to allow for better air flow it could cool it all down?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You want to minimise any obstructions from critical areas, Your CPU is the biggest problem GPUs are hot anyway and i think if you lowered the cpu the GPU would improve. Have you cleaned it out yet.