Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating in fullscreen games

• Please log in to reply

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I haven't cleaned it out yet, but I'll reroute the cables this weekend.

Advertisements

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
This guy doesnt get it.
KEEP IT TIDY ROUTE the wires out of the way, clean out dust make sure it is all pristine, perfect airflow check air is actually reaching the cpu and gpu make sure no obstructions near ANY fans or heatsinks, buy aftermarket cooler.
That seems to be the solution.
Also make sure you dont have any overclocking features enabled by accident in BIOS or anywhere else.
That should FINALLY solve your problem.

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Excuse me but I do get it. I said I'll reroute the wires and I will, as for cleaning it I can't afford all of the things that guy has mentioned, but I'll see what I can do.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Sorry I hadnt realised you had wrote that I apologise. And that is your only option if it still overheats spending some cash.
But routing the wires will make a 80% diffrence and depending on how dirty it is probably ckeaning 20% if its covered in a layer of dust the 80% again.
I dont think you will need to buy a new heatsink and fan keep us posted rmco2003.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Also how can you not AFFORD to clean it? Really all you need is a can of compressed air.
If you are talking about the heatsink you probably wont need to remove it anyway if it cools sufficiently after you finish rerouting and cleaning with a can of air, just remeber to keep a vacum near where you blasr with the air as all you would be doing is moving the air about within the case.
And of you go here: http://theone008.blogspot.com/ (my blog) you can see how I fared with my first computer build mainly focus on the wiring that is how you want it all the cables out of the way.
Of course I now have a modular PSU and X1900XT so things look different.
Oh and what do you think of the lighting under my table? Stupid idea or cool?
Also http://theone009.blogspot.com/

Edited by Mitesh, 05 July 2006 - 12:53 PM.

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I think the problem is basically the CPU not getting a good airflow. I've found out that my Prescott Pentium 4 produces a lot of heat, so it's bound to be hotter than it's Northwood alternative which has a lower FSB and lack of SSE3 support. So bearing this in mind I think I should get a better CPU fan because apparently the stock fan is not worth bothering with, and sorting out the chunk of cables and wires blocking the air from reaching my CPU.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Sort out the wires dont ignore that and my prescott is the 530J is that not the same as yours?

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Mine is a 3.2 Ghz so it might be a different model.

rmco2003

rmco2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Sorry for not reporting back for a while, but I've been pretty busy, and sorry for double posting but if I'd edited my post it would have gone unnoticed.

Anyway I've cleared the air passage to allow air to flow across the processor, but this hasn't helped at all. I still get the same problem of my PC throwing out a lot of heat whenever I go into fullscreen on a game. This only happens in fullscreen games, nothing else, just fullscreen games. It's not dust, thermal paste is on my processor and my GPU has a seperate fan taking up a seperate PCI slot. Any suggestions?