Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access to shared files

• Please log in to reply

deeperry

deeperry

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Thought I'd try again to get an answer to my problem. I have a main PC, a second PC and a laptop. I have a wireless internet connection working correctly. The main PC can see shared files on the second PC and the laptop. The laptop can see shared files only with the second PC. The second PC cannot access either the laptop or the first PC, and the lapton cannot access the first PC. For the second PC and the laptop the work group computers are all visible, but it says that access is denied. You may not have permission to share. I went to the networking tutorial here (and also looked on the Microsoft website). Everything is fine until it gets to the part where permissions are assigned which is supposed to be found under the security tab of the file properties. Well, there is no such tab on any of my computers--is that because they are all SP 2 and the other info is dated? It says that Windows Firewall is set to allow the file sharing. I have also tried to turn the firewall off on all the computers and they still cannot communicate. This is driving me crazy. My son who has quite a bit of computer experience worked on it with me all day yesterday and finally gave up. I would appreciate any help.

Advertisements