Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME refusing to cooperate

• Please log in to reply

drex23

drex23

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 77 posts
I tried to do a factory restore on my Compaq machine w/ win ME since it is going to be unsupported soon (never did one before, never needed to really). The process was working just fine until it came up with an error when arranging the data. Now, the recovery cd is always telling me to turn off the computer. My emergency disk isn't being recognized. The only thing I have gotten to work, somewhat at least, is my startup disk. But, I can't do anything really. Scandisk is finding so many errors it's ridiculous. Can't keep staring at it after it makes me start all over. I know it found something and said to run the surface scan, but I can't get that far again. I can't get it to run scanreg or fix/restore. I only have the recovery cd, not a full os disc. Nothing on compaq's website has helped. Got into BIOS and all that to try to do a system recovery, but it's not working. I've tried many of the suggestions I've found here and elsewhere (MS), but nothing has worked. When I try to startup certain ways, it will tell me IFSHLP.SYS is messed up and win.com isn't found. I tried safe mode from startup disk and said about ifshlp.sys and C:\windows\dbl.sys. Please lend me some assistance, this really isn't my specialty. :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One of the big problems with the older compaq computers is that they installed the OS on a hidden partition on the hard drive. The restore cd only has a set of files that boots the computer and looks for this hidden partition to restore from. If there is a corruption somewhere in the hidden partition you can no longer restore the computer. I made sure i had upgrade and full versions of every OS microsoft made just for these occasions.

The easist way to fix this is to borrow a oem ME cd and reinstall the OS. If you can't find one they can be bought off Ebay for around $50. Some drivers are still at the H-P website (they bought Compaq) and many others can be found at the drivers websites on the net. The only problem i've found is finding the drivers for the modems. Some work with the agere drivers and others just won't work at all. I then just install a cheap modem and install new drivers.

SRX660

MirandaPe

MirandaPe

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have windows ME forever and if I have any problems or
infections (virus/Trojans/malware) I just do a complete OS
wipe out.
You need to buy the 2 discs (it is a shame I can't upload them
to share) called QuickRestore ~ Compaq Presario Model (your model)
and do a complete restore.

The recovery CD does only a superficial clean up.
All errors will come back.

Also, there is a small software called startup inspector
that will clean up your DOS.

Miranda