Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited of no connectivity - Tried Everything

• Please log in to reply

rcoasby

rcoasby

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router connected to my DSL modem. I have four laptops in the house connected to the router and internet no problem. I bought a new Dell PC for my son. I connected with a cable to the router. No problem. I then bought a LInksys WMP54G NIC card, installed it, got latest drivers. I get the dreaded "LImited or no connectivity"

It can see my home network and I have a full signal but I cannot do anything with it. Here is what I have tried so far:

- reset both modem and router
- reinstalled NIC drivers
- applied MS hotfix
- done a winsock reset through command prompt ("Netsh winsock reset")
- downloaded winsockxpfix utility and run it.
- pulled the Linksys card out and put it back in again, in a different slot (grasping at straws now)

Nothing works

Any suggestions? I assume as I can connect througha cable it's a NIC-related problem

Thanks, Richard

Advertisements

ajcool123

ajcool123

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
hey so you are getting an ip? what do you see when you do start -> run -> type "cmd" -> then type "ipconfig" paste here what you see

rcoasby

rcoasby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have done two screen shots. "ipconfig1.jpg" is the offending Dell PC. As you point out there is an IP address there. It's definitely communicating to the router.

Also, and I don't know if this will help, but I also did an ipconfig for one of the notebooks in the house (ipconfigHP_cable_and_wireless.jpg"). The first part was connected via a cable and the second via wireless. I have absolutely no problem with this or any of the other 3 notebooks in the house,

I hope that helps and thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Richard

Attached Thumbnails

• ipconfig1.jpg
  • ipconfigHP_cable_and_wireless.jpg

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi rcoasby,

Any IP Address within the range of 169.* is actually assigned by your Operating System, and is intended to tell you that you are not receiving an IP from your DHCP server (your router). So, in actual fact, your computer is not at present interacting with the router.

To see if you have any connectivity, you could try setting up a Static IP --
Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right click on your Wireless Connection --> Select Properties --> Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) once and press the Properties button --> Select the option Use the following IP Address: --> Enter in the IP Address [10.10.10.109], Subnet Mask [255.255.255.0] and Default Gateway [10.10.10.1] --> Press OK --> Restart your computer; do you still receive the limited or no connectivity message? Are you able to connect to your network?

If you still cannot connect, then retun your settings to Obtain an IP Address automatically.

I'd suggest following SpaceCowboy's Wireless Networking Tutorial to ensure that you have setup your wireless network correctly.