Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!

• Please log in to reply

otivlasc

otivlasc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm building a computer and 99% done. I have all the parts put together. Some cool leds to light the thing up and fans n all. The computer turns on. Everything looks like it's working fine. When I plug a monitor into my computer it won't show a display. It also realeses a series of beeps. I looked up what the beeps mean, and they mean there is a display problem. It is an older motherboard so there are many jumpers and two dip switches one with eight and one with 4. I am very confused, but think the dip switches are where the problem lies. Can someone help configure my mother board.

Other info you might need:

1 128mb SD RAM

1 nVidia Video Card 128mb

1 Comp USA SOUND Card PCI 32bit

128 watt powersupply

30.7 western digital hard drive

LG CD drive

Floppy drive

The south bridge chip is VIA VT82C686A

Okay, Thats more or less the basics on what I have. I don't no what motherboard I have s and I don't have the manual. It's P3 prosecor.

Edited by otivlasc, 03 July 2006 - 11:37 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Posting about DIP switches without knowing what motherboard you have is akin to asking what colour you should paint your bathroom without sharing what you have in there already.

Motherboard models are usually printed somewhere on the board.
The fact that your computer is beeping at you with a series of beeps that you've researched mean an issue with the display suggests that maybe you should try a different graphics card.

And if that realy is a 128w PSU, you are seriously asking for trouble later on down the line.

otivlasc

otivlasc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, The graphics card should be good, because I tried a few others. Where is the model printed like on a sticker or ACTUALLY ON THE BOARD! Im so cunfused

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take a photo of the board and close-ups of any stickers or writing on it, and attach it to your post. Maybe somebody will recognise it and be able to advise better.