Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System process uses 50% CPU

• Please log in to reply

srcoffee

srcoffee

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Task Manager shows the "System" process hovering around 50% all the time. (not the System Idle process)

I've run three different spyware removal items, investigated every process on the list, and done all the routine maintenance. What is my System up to? Is something running under its covers?

Please don't let me rebuild my system.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

srcoffee

srcoffee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I posted my HJT log on Monday, but no one replied. Apparently it wasn't very interesting. Actually, I think it showed nothing wrong.

It seems very likely that my problem has nothing to do with malware. But then what could cause this? I'm limping along on half a processor.

Geeks, please speak.

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up then click disable all, replace the ticks for the fireall, anti virus and any anti-spyware programmes, click apply and reboot, tick do not start the configuration utility when windows loads

srcoffee

srcoffee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Keith--are you saying to disable all the Windows functions too?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No, just the start up items in the start up list, with the exception of the ones I put

This means programmes will only load when you start them, not automatically with windows

You can also click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm and reboot

srcoffee

srcoffee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry to be dense, but the startup list in msconfig includes ps2, hkcmd, and lots of important looking Windows stuff. Do I disable those?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's fine, if anything doesn't run you can replace the tick for it

srcoffee

srcoffee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Aha--I find NVCPL.EXE among the startup programs. Could that be my problem? Should I deal with that now (how) or should I continue with the diagnostic?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Just as easy to disable all of them, except the firewall etc

srcoffee

srcoffee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm sad to report that did not change the system process problem.

srcoffee

srcoffee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
BTW, it looks like the nVcpl I have is a dll used for nVidia, not a worm after all.