Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do i check what kind of video card i have?

• Please log in to reply

lateasia

lateasia

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Im a fool when it comes to this kinda stuff so i need some help.
I wanna buy the Sims 2 but ive be warned by others to check my video card.
Whatever and where ever that is i have no clue
So how do i check it and what can i do if i need a better one?
I have an old garbage toshiba laptop, is there anything i can do short of buying a new comp?

Thanks
Lateasia

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, let's see what you have. Click on Start -> Run. In the box, type dxdiag ... Press enter. If you see a small gray box appear, you can click on no for now. You will now see a rather large box showing all your system information. Click on the display tab. Now, read out to us whatever you see inside the box at the top-left of this new page.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Or you can use an app called pcwizard2006 gathers and displays PC info in a simple easy to read way, useful for all sorts of things.

lateasia

lateasia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Name: Trident Video Accelerator Cyberblade XP Ai1
Manufacturer: Trident
Chip: Trident Cyberblade XP Ai1
DAC Type: Intergrated Ram DAC
Approx Total Memory: 16.0 mb
Current display mode: 1024x768 (32 bit) (60hz)
Monitor: Default monitor

Here u go, hopefully this is what ur looking for

Edited by lateasia, 03 July 2006 - 04:09 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im afraid thats not going to play the sims2 or much else.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Just by looking at how much memory your card has installed (16MB) I can tell you that the Sims 2 will not run on this PC. You need at least 128 MB I believe. How old is the laptop? Its ability to have the video card upgraded will depend on if the computer is able to accept it. We need to make sure that you have the right port which we need to insert the card into and so on.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Very very few laptops can have there gfx card upgraded and those are newer models thats an integrated motherboard chip and given the age it cant be upgraded and they dont make them to fit in a laptop expansion port last time i looked even if they did given the age i very much doubt the rest of the system can handle it.

Edited by warriorscot, 03 July 2006 - 04:43 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sadly, the point is, laptops (besides the beastlike ones you make yourself) are not made for gaming. They are made for travelers who write articles, view pictures, and give presentations... If you want something that will be wonderful for gaming and come at a better price, go with a desktop.

lateasia

lateasia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok (sigh) i pretty much figured id need a desktop at some point. I have the sims 1 and tons of expansions installed and that seems to work fine. Anyways, i totally understand the uselessness of a laptop, mines been primarily used for college. Thanks for all your help

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sorry to break the bad news. Nevertheless, we hope you will come back and see us in the future :whistling: