Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

paper i am on

• Please log in to reply

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey i am writing a paper on good and evil and i need some help.

how has good and evil been represented in our world?

and i need specific examples.

Advertisements

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
Then would you like us to write the paper for you as well???

Google is your friend... :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
This sounds oddly like a homework question... Theology?

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
good "GTG"

evil just look in the malware logs

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A great many examples can be made, however i dont think its best discusiion for here as most of the most evil acts are based upon or caused by people and institutions it would be inappropriate or against the rules of the site to talk about.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Good and evil are religious terms so this board cannot help you, I would suggest asking it either at PCadvisor(speaker's corner) or thattechguy(civilised debate) but the threads there can become quite heated with hotheads. I commend your idea of asking here because I agree, the members of G2G are smart and wide spectrum in their outlook.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Good and Evil arent religous at all, however most things that were truly evil were religous in nature and thus we cant discuss. A man doesnt have ot be religous to be good or evil, and neither is a man without religion nothing as good and evil as a religous term would apply.

Evil men and women everywhere, but one mans saint is anothers sinner, at a push i could think of a couple of saints that did evil things but not everyone would agree you see there lies a debate which would involve religion and politics. And while people here at G2G have shown on numerous occasions we can have civilised inteligent discussion on relgion and politics in the sake of keeping the peace they arent allowed.

One suggestion is maybe talk about the nature of it in man, maybe one there are some examples in history of men that were both good and evil in action. The least politically charged i can think of is Alexander the Great, he commited great acts of evil yet also did many very good things you could maybe talk of the balance of good and evil in him although he was around so long ago historical data is sketchy and often aneqdotal good and bad for you, you could probably pick more recent examples you just might not be able to discuss them on here.

Edited by warriorscot, 03 July 2006 - 06:09 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Help, ok I am biting, if good is the true opposite of bad would one say that the true opposite of evil is rightous or vertueous or what then?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Good is the opposite of evil, virtous and rightous are aspects of being good, your assuming the english language made sense and there is an opposite term for everything but in english if an existing term works its just applied in the different situation and it depends upon context.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I would start off by defining good and evil. My version of eveil might be totally different from yours. Whenever you write a paper about two things, I would always start off by stating a definition of each.

Advertisements

_kira_

_kira_

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
good and evil are in everthing including religon, in my religon we dont see good and evil as something like

god or the devil we see it as energy. so the veiw is totaly different in everything.

so you could probably do your thing on how there's many different veiws

p.s i meant no offense to anyone or anything if you see anything that you dont like :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Point of View is important, most would consider Hitlers actions in the second world war Evil, but he didnt and neither did many of his followers indeed many people in allied nations at the time thought it was a good thing as well. Alot is down to point of view.

Mussolini was another good one, Evil man by many standards but is still often revered by people in his home nation because of all the good he did for his country he made the trains run on time and drove out the mafia he was a facist but was a good leader but still and evil man, the lines between good and evil are often thin and when close so blurred they appear the same at times.

Edited by warriorscot, 04 July 2006 - 04:50 PM.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts

A great many examples can be made, however i dont think its best discusiion for here as most of the most evil acts are based upon or caused by people and institutions it would be inappropriate or against the rules of the site to talk about.

wow, I thought you didn't want to discuss this any further, but I must let you know your intellegence is showing again. When you get to quoting Lucretius and the likes we are definitly in trouble! :whistling: :blink:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would never quote, why quote when you have so many interesting things of your own to stay. What can i say philosopher at heart, im trying to be careful to use older examples and making sure to qualify them approiately.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
"No evil no saints" which is not an arguement in favour of evil but a recognition that without one there is not the other and only with both options under a free will can see oneself from what one has chosen.