Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Sound/Mixer Error

• Please log in to reply

superflyguyo

superflyguyo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Here's the situation: I have no sound. About 5 hours ago I tried to play some music and when I didn't hear it, I clicked on the volume controls and got the following error:

There are no active mixer devices available.  To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.

This program will now close.

Since then I've spent hours looking at forum discussions seeing many people with the same issue, only they seem to resolve it. One particular thread was very extensive and people were getting results, so I followed this one [link]. The one that made the most sense was this one:

I tried that about six times, only to come up short six times. I can't be sure that there was no PNP software before I did this, since I tried before looking. My device manager now shows 6 PnP software enumerators. I tried other stuff on the site involving the swenson .sys and .inf files or whatever, but have also came up dry. I've done so much stuff I can't even remember.

Someone please help me.

Here are my commputer specs:

So yeah, I've gotten nowhere, basically. Except that now the little volume controls icon next to the clock is gone. So yeah, please help!

(Sorry if I wasn't detailed enough or there is another similar topic, I searched and didn't find one.)

Thanks for your time.

^ There you go, my problem. I came to this forum by Yahoo! and saw that this girl had a similar problem [link] and got some help, but I suspect the solution she got doesn't apply to me because I don't have a sound card, I think it's just off the motherboard. I don't know that much about computers, but I'm not a complete beginner, if that helps at all.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by superflyguyo, 03 July 2006 - 02:35 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Usually no sound is caused by the sound drivers being corrupted. You might try going to the motherboards manufacturers website and download the drivers for that Mb and see if it works. It could also be that the sound hardware has been damaged. I had that happen when a power surge from a lightning storm killed the onboard sound in a computer. Setting the onboard sound to disabled in the bios and installing a sound blaster live 5.1 sound card fixed the problem.

Heres a nice price on a SB live.

http://www.directron.com/sb0200.html

SRX660

superflyguyo

superflyguyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
^ Thanks for that.

My PC Specs:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 1015 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPU Speed: 2998.2 MHz
Sound card: Not detected
Display Adapters: Intel® 82915G Express Chipset Family | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1152 X 864 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: D: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S | E: HL-DT-STCD-ROM GCR-8483B
:
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 149.0GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 60.9GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Intel Corp.
Product Make:
:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 07/22/04 | GATEWA - 20040722
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: Intel Corporation D915GAG
Modem: SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
LGE CDMA USB Modem

EDIT: Another takes on this?

Edited by superflyguyo, 03 July 2006 - 03:46 PM.

superflyguyo

superflyguyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried getting the latest driver updates from Intel, but still nothing. And now, video isn't playing either.

:whistling: Please help!

superflyguyo

superflyguyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
UPDATE: I think it's gotten a lot worse. After I did the driver update and nothing happend, I downloaded some BIOS update for the motherboard and began to install it. After I clicked finished it was supposed to reboot. I was waiting for like 10 minutes for it to reboot while it was seemingly loggin off. I just manually turned off the system and started it up again. After I did that, boot time was much, much longer than usual and when I finally did get to a Windows screen, I got an error about not being able to find some file. I clicked okay and was trying to get back online to tell you guys, but for some reason I can't click on my taskbar. I couldn't summon CNTR + ALT + DEL or anything else, although I could click icons and such. So I again manually shut down and did the whole thing about 3 times. I'm now on a different PC.

Someone please help!

Thanks.

superflyguyo

superflyguyo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't wanna seem impatient or anything, but can someone please help!

I'm scared my computer is on its death bed.