Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

'Simple' XP Home (SP2) Reinstall

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Am having a problem getting HP software (newly installed) to recognize HP scanner (MS Scan Wizard works OK - so I think the driver and scanner hardware are OK).

HP Tech Support feels that its a Windows prob left over from the previous scanner/software (Epson) that was installed but is now removed (I installed thr HP on another PC - a 'virgin' PC ... ie never had a scanner installed - with no problem).

I tried creating a new user (administrator) and installing from there (aftyer logging on as the new user - but still had same prob.

MY QUESTION IS: Can I just install (new or update- which?) from the Windows XP Home (SP2) CD - that I used to initially install? (The CD is NOT an OEM version - it 's a 'retail' version that I installed a few months ago..) I don't want to 'lose' the programs (or settings) already installed. (All data is on a second HD.)

Thank you.

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
What HP software are you trying to install?
What is HP scanner model no?

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
HP scanjet 4890 and associated sotware (solution center, etc)