Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP Is it Motheboard or CPU

• Please log in to reply

vinasg

vinasg

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I just got a new MOBO (ECS P4M800PRO-M V1.0A) and CPU (P4 3.06GHz 533MHz) last week. This week I put it all together using my old drives into a new chasis with a neew 450W Power supply. I set all the jumpers etc, connected the CPU and dries. When I turned it on nothing happens - No beeps, no fans, no LEDs, nothing.
So here are the things I followed through:
- Connected the same power supply to another system and it powered up just fine - so not a Power supply issue
- Cleared CMOS Mem, disconneted all other devices, memory, system fan. Only left CPU fan on. (EVen disconnected USB and speaker connections to the front panel). Still no power or no beeps, no fans starting. Eliminates CMOS issue
- Disconnected the front panel 'power swich' from the board Panel1, shorted it maually with a jumper with power turned on (everything else is still disconnected) , still no power, no fans starting, nothing. So it wasnt the front panel power switch
- Checked the power siwtch and reset switch also on a meter, connected (closed) fine when pressed.
- Connected another power supply from a working system. Still motherbaord does not turn on.
- Turned the power on with original PS and checked the voltage reading by meter at the leads on the bottom side coming from ATX1 and ATX12V connectors. Meter registers only ~1 V where it should register 12 V (Pin 10 on ATX1, or Pin 3 / 4 on ATX12V connector, which is a 4 pin converter). It registers ~ .25V where it shoudl have ben 5V (Pin 9 on ATX1) and vey low at pin 1 and 2 where it should read 3.3 V.
- All theses tests were done outside the box (which means the case is not shorting the board) :whistling:
- The only thing i have is the power supply has 20 pin male connector, whereas the MOBO has 24 pin ATX1 female connector. But the manual says you can use the 20 pin (just leave the other 4 pins open, as long as the power is > 300 W)
- I have 1 G DDR II PC 4200 memory (1) but have disconnected it for all the above testing.
Looks like it is a bad motherboard. Or may be the CPU? How do I pinpoint it if its MOBo that I need to take back or the CPU. Or is it something else?
Can you help if it something else, and if not how do I determine if it is the MOBO or CPU?
Thank you for your help.
Anything you can suggest?

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Do you have both the ATX1 and ATX12 connectors plugged into the appropriate receptacles on the Motherboard?

"However, using 20-pin power cable may cause the system to become unbootable or unstable because of insufficient electricity. A minimum of 300W is recommended for a fully-configured system."

I don't like the sound of that.

:whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would try a 20 to 24 pin adapter first and if that doesnt do it RMA the board for another motherboard. I don't think its the MB but you may have damaged it by trying to run it with a 20 pin connector.

http://www.xoxide.co...in-adapter.html

Take a look at this website on connectors.

http://www.playtool....connectors.html

The reason they use 24 pins now is because the MB's nee the extra power for the newest processors and hardware. I would not run with a 20 pin connector power supply. Thermotake has nice 24 pin PS's for around $40.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153023

SRX660

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Im with him, you are better off buying a brand new 24pin powersupply from thermaltake..

They have a 430watt 24pin for $39.99 with $10 mail in rebate... = $29.99..

Edited by jrm20, 03 July 2006 - 09:37 PM.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Yes, matching up the correct PSU will be a step in the right direction.

SRX660, nice find with the playtool.com site. :whistling:

:blink:

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you all for your responses.
Looks like eveyone is suggesting the 20-24 pin adapter or a new power supply with 24 pin. I'll try the adapter first. My PS is already rated for 450W.
I had asked the same question (with same details) to the technical support team at ECS. Unfortunately, either they did not read my message or didn't pay attention to it. They responded with the same exact things that I did to isoloate the problem (clear CMOS, board outside the sysyetm, disconnect everything except the CPU and fan, try the power switch jumper etc et etc). So I am not very impresed with their support. They did not seem to indicate any issues with the 20 pin power supply either (but neither does their manual).
So I'll try the adapter first and the power supply. But if that does not work, I'll get the MOBO replaced. Its only a week old.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One of my pet peeves is motherboard support on the internet. For that reason i will not buy some motherboards even tho they may be really good. I am kinda partial to Gigabyte simply because they have great support on-line. It is frustrating to have a website you can't navigate or does not have information you need. Asus and ECS are among the worse for support.

SRX660

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you again for all your help. Just to close out, I bought the 20-pin to 24 pin adpater but it did not help.
Finally today I took the MOBO and CPU back. They loaded the board at the store and it did the same thing (didnt do anything actually - no lights, no beeps, no fan etc). So it was the motherboard.
The replacement MOBO and the new processor seem to work. The system gets power now.
But I have a new problem, the system comes up but keeps booting up and I cant get XP started. I have posted another thread with title: "System keeps rebotting" to highlight the new problem. So please respond to that message if you have any suggestions/comments.
For this issue, it was the MOBO as suspected.
Although I am not out of the woods due to the rebooting problem, thanks again for all your help on the MOBO issue.