Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

127.0.0.01 problem

• Please log in to reply

toolate

toolate

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been playing phone tag with my ISP. He searched using just these numbers and sent me this reply, "127.0.0.1 is "you", or rather, when a machine sends an IP packet to 127.0.0.1, it is sending email to itself". I did a similar search and read where folks were experiencing this problem back as early as 2002, but the descriptions were way over my head. I guess that's possible, but why now?
As I explained my problem to him: This computer now suddenly requests me to log-on to access my email. The log on screen is indicating a server with the numbers above. The box already provides my username, and has 5 dots which I presume are my password. The remember password box is checked and in grayscale. If I hit Ok enter, this screen just immediately comes back exactly as before. Click once or a hundred times. If I hit cancel, the Outlook express box immediately appears listing the Error while "Checking for new messages". There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your password was rejected Account Shorefast Mail! Server 127.0.0.1 Protocol POP 3 Server Response. ERR Username or password is incorrect.Port:110 Secure (SSL) No Server Error 0x800CCC90. I can't change any of the entries within the log on box. I am able to check my email inbox and otherwise communicte normaly at my office computer, an old Pentium II with Windows '98 and no virus protection. My ISP guy says I should bring my tower in for him to look at. What do you folks thinks. And thanks for sharing. :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a known long standing issue with Norton which changes the addresses on a whim. But as you don't have any anti-virus software, its possible a piece of malware has changed this.

Go to your ISP and ask them for the POP3 and SMTP addresses. Then go into Outlook Express -> Tools -> Accounts -> Mail. Click the appropriate entry for your email and go to Properties. Click on Server and enter the POP3 and SMTP addresses in the appropriate boxes. Click OK all the way back to Outlook Express.

Now check for mail. If the entries change back to 127.0.0.1, please visit the Malware forum on this site.

Edited by Neil Jones, 04 July 2006 - 05:15 PM.

toolate

toolate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

This is a known long standing issue with Norton which changes the addresses on a whim. But as you don't have any anti-virus software, its possible a piece of malware has changed this.

Go to your ISP and ask them for the POP3 and SMTP addresses. Then go into Outlook Express -> Tools -> Accounts -> Mail. Click the appropriate entry for your email and go to Properties. Click on Server and enter the POP3 and SMTP addresses in the appropriate boxes. Click OK all the way back to Outlook Express.

Now check for mail. If the entries change back to 127.0.0.1, please visit the Malware forum on this site.

Thanks Neil,
I meant to say that this Dell is running the McAfee suite, with protection levels set medium-high. I will take your suggestion on resetting the info. I have done that before over the phone with my ISP. I'd rather start there then hoss the unit down to his bench at $65/hr. and thinking it will require 2 hours out of my pocket. I did notice here today while attempting to access my mail again, that the 127.0.0.1 has been replaced with the actual name of the mail server. Alas, the logon box obstacles continues to prevent me from going any further. Might this go away if I was to switch to Firefox. Would a browser switch on this unit create a compatibility problem with mail access if i was still running OE on my other working computer, that dial ups to the same mail account at the same ISP. did I say that right? appreciate the help john

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Moving to Firefox will make no difference to how Outlook Express functions so any issues or concerns there will remain unchanged. Firefox is just a web browser, not an email client. You're probably thinking of Thunderbird, from the same people who make Firefox.

Other things to note of: Passwords are case sensitive so if the logon box is still cropping up when the POP and SMTP addresses are correct, then that's an issue with either your internet provider (email outage for example) or you have the wrong password in there.

toolate

toolate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neal

I've had a peak at the POP3 screen on the good computer, and have learned that the outgoing is meant to be the same as the incoming. I now seen it with the 127.0.0.1 in the incoming mail position. Couple of other things hang in the air. About a month ago I experienced some log on difficulties with my ISP over a weekend, and came to find out they had a near hit lightning strike which partially interupted service. About three weeks ago we were informed that we needed to now use the other telephone number available and that we should check the box "my server requires authentication". So I did and I experienced some difficulty over the period of several days until I figured out that my other computer wanted to be configured the same way, as it uses the same account, etc.

The log on box crops up immediately. I've reset the identical server info, and ok'ed my way back to here. I'll check in a minute to see if the next time it appears it comes back as 127.0.0.1 again. So lets just say that the server info is correct, and the password is the correct 6 number of dots i would expect. That said my ISP ain't owning this problem as his yet. Is this really looking like a 2 hour 130 dollar problem of mine? He wants me to bring the tower in and put it on the bench. Sounds a little drastic. Why can't I remove my ISP info completely, then add it all back as if it were brand new. Sorry, that was probably a dumb statement. So that means if I went to a different ISP my problem isn't necessaryily going away, cause its a little deeper than that? All for a log in screen?

I took a hard look at the info at the Malware Forum you mentioned. Honestly some of that info scares me. I've got XP pro, but don't know if its 64 bit, don't think so. Also, I have recently exercised my McAfee virus features, scanned all 85K files and no corrupt files found, and it automatically updates everytime I log on, as I get the screen so indicating when that is complete. So, I don't know if I'm "infected" or not.

thanks for sharing

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
web server settings don't change on their own, you've got something on your computer that's changing it to 127.0.0.1 and I wouldn't be surprised if its that McAfee software that's doing it.

Go into McAfee, poke around a bit and look for something along the lines of "Email scanning" or "attachment filter" or anything that looks like it could have something to do with email. Disable it. Now reset your server addresses in Outlook Express and see if they change back again without that part of McAfee running.

toolate

toolate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm out of here for a couple of days. I'll poke around as you suggest when I get back. I sort of did that, but didn't have a clue what I should be looking for. Now I do. Thanks for that tip and we'll see what happens.