Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games Running Slow

• Please log in to reply

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi Gerry,

there was a slight improvement but it only lets the game run a little longer before it slows down. I just stopped Star wars age of empires demo as it went really slow (after downloading new drivers, a number came up in the top right hand corner. When it was 21 or above the number glowed orange (anber?) and when it went down to 2 it glowed red and the game slowed right down.

As soon as i quit the game I ran HDtune and the temp on my laptop was 54 Degrees Celsius. The bottom of the computer under a panel labelled 'M' is too hot to touch!!!!

Oh dear...it just keeps getting worse ad worse doesn't it????

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
54c is not too hot for a cpu...under load,it is about what one would expect.

if it gets above 65, then I would be worrying.

Are the air vents clogged? feel air coming out?

as a test, take a small fan and blow it across the laptop...it would not hurt to elevate the laptop by placing some thing under the corners while doing this

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi gerry,

yes there is air coming out the vents. I've been doing minimal work (word docs etc) for the last hour or so and the 'M' panel is still very hot. I always prop the laptop on a book to keep the airways free and used a cooling pack i have last night to lower temperature on the console itself. is there a congifuration i should use with the omega adaptors? Hitman is now running better, but still bery slow and Splinter cell works for a longer period of time before going into slow mo......

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
where is the M panel when the laptop is facing right side up and you are looking at the screen

left or right (in know it is underneath)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
also, when playing games, do things improve if you turn the resolution wayyyyy down?

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi Gerry, The 'm' panel is a little off centre to the left (basically covering from the bottom of the the touch pad area up to the top of the 'zxcvbnm' row of keys.)

Game play improves significantly when I lower the res!!!! However, 'Hitman' is still very jerky Almost like the computer is a second or two behind whatever action I press. When I walk the character, he goes for about 6 or seven steps, then there is a second delay, then he takes 6 or 7 mor step and so on. Splinter cell appears to be working okay now...

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Perhaps this might help as well:
Right click 'My Computer', choose properties > Advance tab
There click Performance settings and for visual effects, choose Adjust For Best Performance

Hope it helps,
greetz

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is where the harddrive is, which will get hot. the fact it is getting very hard means it is working very hard and might indicate a great deal of searching/seek/reads

Have you ever defragmented this thing?

start > run
dfrg.msc
<enter>

analyze

click VIEW REPORT and what is the total defragmentation?

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
hi gerry, I defrag weekly if i've installed or uninstalled anything. Total fragmentation = 5%. I'm beginning to think that you're right and this computer is just not designed for gameplay!!!!!

Bummer......

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well. I can say without hesitation it is not designed for gameplay, but there should be enough in there for playing diablo.

let's take that game as an example as that is the only game I have experience with.

First, diablo ii--with the expansion (lod)? Are you playing with the cd in, or are you using a virtual cd?

Advertisements

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi gerry, I'm running Diablo II from the disc. I think that maybe the problems I have with that are just that it is an old game and the software has bugs. Problems only really occur when there is a lot of action on the screen (eg multiple enemies attacking....)

However, I now have a different problem (as a result of my messing around trying to fix the graphics problem. I keep having problems opening folders on my desktop. If I click on one (or even right click and select open or explore) the screen refreshes itself but nothing happens. All the desktop items dissapear momentarily, then come back (like your coming back in from a restart) and that's it. VERY disconcerting. Can you help?