Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fried MOBO? New computer yet fried? Help

• Please log in to reply

wintermoon

wintermoon

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Everyone,

Back in Feb, I bought a compaq/amd sempron 3500 +. I upgraded it to 1 gig Ram,
I added an Enermax 530 W 12v ATX PS.
I added an X1600 Powercolor ATI PCI-E
I overclocked nothing.
I bought the computer to play oblivion. All was fine. Till yesterday, Went to turn on puter, it's dead. Was working fine 5 hours previous. Moved computer to another room, to test outlet. still no juice.
took puter apart.. took to sons house. RAM is fine. HD will boot in his computer but says Windows can't be activated. Mobo and processor couldn't be tested.
Question? New computer? Should I bother taking into shop? If I take to shop, will it cost me the same as replacing new MOBO and processor? Power supply is dead too. What did this?.. House is clean.. no dust. No megatron heat problems. My house is central air. I'm so confused.
Thanks
Cherie

Advertisements

wintermoon

wintermoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just to add on to what I wrote. I took out the new Powersupply and put back the old one, and took out the graphics card and reverted back to the integrated one. It still didn't fire up. I'm so sad..

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi Everyone,

Back in Feb, I bought a compaq/amd sempron 3500 +. I upgraded it to 1 gig Ram,
I added an Enermax 530 W 12v ATX PS.
I added an X1600 Powercolor ATI PCI-E
I overclocked nothing.
I bought the computer to play oblivion. All was fine. Till yesterday, Went to turn on puter, it's dead. Was working fine 5 hours previous. Moved computer to another room, to test outlet. still no juice.
took puter apart.. took to sons house. RAM is fine. HD will boot in his computer but says Windows can't be activated. Mobo and processor couldn't be tested. Question? New computer? Should I bother taking into shop? If I take to shop, will it cost me the same as replacing new MOBO and processor? Power supply is dead too. What did this?.. House is clean.. no dust. No megatron heat problems. My house is central air. I'm so confused.
Thanks
Cherie

Not to worry you at all, dont get worried.. A power surge can toast a mobo or powersupply. Did you have a thunderstorm or a power surge that trickled on and off??

If nothing turns on at all and you get no lights/fans or activity at all, its more than likely the powersupply or mobo..

The cpu has nothing to do with the pc not showing any activity at all. You will atleast get lights and the fans would work if only the cpu was fried..

EDIT: I noticed you added something while I was already answering your questions/problems LOL.... You added a new reply.

Well since you tried your old powersupply and still no luck that means the motherboard is the bad device.

Edited by jrm20, 03 July 2006 - 10:53 PM.

wintermoon

wintermoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
O.k. So was it a bad MOBO to begin with? And it just failed? I realize you aren't able to do this telekinisis wise but.. i'm so upset. I was so careful with adding stuff. I made sure I bought a trusted Power Supply. We've been having a ton of T-storms in the area.. but i'm so fanactical about turning off the computer, could it have been static?
thanks for your reply. You guys always answer so quickly. I'm so devasted by this.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

O.k. So was it a bad MOBO to begin with? And it just failed? I realize you aren't able to do this telekinisis wise but.. i'm so upset. I was so careful with adding stuff. I made sure I bought a trusted Power Supply. We've been having a ton of T-storms in the area.. but i'm so fanactical about turning off the computer, could it have been static?
thanks for your reply. You guys always answer so quickly. I'm so devasted by this.

There is no way for me to know that, but things like motherboards can go out at any given time.

The T-storms is what caused it more than likely even if its turned off it still can get hit if its plugged into the wall. Try a good surge protector next time if you are in a bad weather area and you dont already have a surge protector.

wintermoon

wintermoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It was all unplugged.. from the wall.. from the cable modem.. all the cable modem things were unplugged. I have two surge suppressors on the dang thing. the cable modem still works.. cuz im on my laptop now. it's just the dang computer.
thanks for your help. i realize this is a shot in the dark. I'm just upset.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Not that this will fix your mobo but do you run your modem cable through the surge protector as well? And do/did you unplug this? Your computer can get zapped through that route as well...

wintermoon

wintermoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Not that this will fix your mobo but do you run your modem cable through the surge protector as well? And do/did you unplug this? Your computer can get zapped through that route as well...

I know this is days later and probably no one is interested. And yes I unplug everything and my cable modem is on a surge but it was all unplugged also.. which is why I was so confused. Can you believe it? It was my Battery..a $4.49 cent battery that I bought at my local drug store. I didn't know my PC had a battery, but now I know and after 4 hours with a HP tech, I got it fixed. Just a heads up to anyone having problems. thanks again.