Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It's over!?!

• Please log in to reply

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I just went to download Vista and saw it's over! Is there any way around this? I really wanted to get a copy. Will there be another testing session? (Would they have ever fixed the testing version anyway, or would I have still needed to buy the retail eventually?)

Edited by beethoven, 04 July 2006 - 10:04 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sorry, MS announced earlier in the week they were going to discontinue the beta test. People who had started the download could continue downloading for another week or so (the download manager allows you to pause and restart downloads.)

You would have to buy a retail anyway, as the Vista preview, I believe, will expire in June 2007

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Maybe they will give us a discount on the regular version since we were so kind to test their new product for them.

Heh what am I thinking? Its Microsoft, chances of that happening are zero to none. lol

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
OK.... so first, there is no way at all anyone knows to get into the program, and second, even if I had made it, it would have been only for testing, as we would have needed to upgrade and thus buy our own copies of Vista after testing's done, correct?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is basically correct.

http://blogs.msdn.co.../29/650632.aspx

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
OK... Thanks. I'm practically depressed, but I might get over it someday. Hope it doesn't cost too much.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This link suggests you will need to be registered and have a product key

http://www.microsoft...dy/preview.mspx

There is a 3.12GB download here if you click use your download manager

http://download.wind...86/download.htm

There is a single product key for Office 2007 beta, so it may be worth checking with a few people who have downloaded the Vista beta if they have the same product key

Also check the registration position

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Can't you order it to be sent to you?

Where are you? I could send you a copy. Apparently I have 10 licences.

Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Windows Vista Beta 2. This email contains information on how to access the download and the Product Key (below) you will need to install Windows Vista. You may install Beta 2 on up to 10 PCs using the same Product Key.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is supposed to be 10 pcs you own

the license is granted to you

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Fait enough. Does it really matter, seeing as it's Beta and not actually for sale?

Advertisements

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
OK..... My internet connection was down for a few days, so I'm just seeing everything new.

I'd really like to be able to get Vista. I saved that link into my favorites to possibly get later. How do I find out if I'm 32 bit or 64 bit, my gut is 32. I'd be interested in using Rich's product key, but has he used them all, or is it legal anyway? I really want Vista, but it's not worth being fined or arrested or anything if this isn't quite legal and Microsoft has some way of catching us. And it's not for sale, so Rich's question seems to apply. Is the product key different from registration?

On another front, the issue remains of safety. Is there a way to report bugs and whatnot to Microsoft? In another thread I asked about how to install without ruining my computer. I can easily back up documents, pics, etc., but I am worried about Windows XP. I bought my computer from Dell, and was enough of a cheapskate to not buy the install CD. If Vista ruins my computer, I can't get Windows back. Is there a safe way to install anyway?

As far as requirements go, do I really need a 256 MB video card!?! I think it's 64 MB on mine. Also, do I have to burn a DVD, or would a CD work. I have a DVD-ROM drive, but it can't burn, so I'd have to do that elsewhere.

There.... I think I've addressed all my concerns, but if I have to double post, please pardon me due to my overwhelming thoughts. :whistling: or I may just edit the post!

Edited by beethoven, 08 July 2006 - 02:21 AM.

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I can answer a couple of your questions.

Vista won't affect XP. You need to put it on a seperate partition.

It won't fit on a CD. It's 3.2 GB.

My video card is an old 128 and it works fine.

I think if any bugs occur, the usual little MS send box will pop up.

As for licensing,not really sure, but how would MS know which computers I own and where?

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Then in that case, I think I'm interested. I think you answered them all as well! I'll PM you. Everyone else, please keep posting :whistling:. The one thing I'm not sure about is Microsoft communication. I always click "don't send" on those boxes as I don't always know or understand what it's sending. Can you actually communicate and report bugs to them?

Edited by beethoven, 08 July 2006 - 02:58 AM.

root

root

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
After you recieve the bug report notification and you click "Send Report," it sends the information about the bug/crash and some other things like IP and relevent system information in an encrypted file to MS. Then you'll be taken to the Microsoft Online Crash Analysis (MOCA) website. On the website they will usually offer a remedy (if there is one) to prevent/solve your issue and offer bug tracking for your specific event as well.

Best of luck,
Root

Edited by root, 08 July 2006 - 04:47 AM.

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
What about other things, such as a list of running tasks? I wouldn't necessarily want that given away, yet they might want/need it. Is there a way to just communicate with them. "I don't like the way that....."?