Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I lag this much?

• Please log in to reply

Ximmy

Ximmy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My computer is a couple years old. It's a pre-made HP system. I have some upgrades... here is my comp:
Product Specifications (motherboard is TriGem)
I have since upgraded it a little bit by putting in an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI video card w/ 128mb of memory and 512 MB of PC2700 RAM. My problem is... I get very bad frames in CS:Source and WoW. My friend uses a GeForce2 PCI and he doesn't lag as badly as I do. If anyone has any suggestions, or if you need more info, about how to fix or improve my performance in these games please help. I am using the latest Catalyst drivers.

Just to be specific: I get an average of 20FPS in WoW except in high traffic situations (more than 10 other players) where I get 10 or less. In source I get 20-40 FPS, and it's random. Plz help. :whistling:

Current specs:
ATI Radeon 9250 PCI w/ 128mb
2.7GHz Intel Celeron
768MB PC2700 RAM (messages at PC2100)
40GB HD @ 5400RPM

From SystemSpec:
Windows	   	Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2

Internet Explorer 		6.0.2900.2180

Memory (RAM) 		759 MB

CPU Info 		Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.70GHz

CPU Speed 		2686.3 MHz

Sound card 		Realtek AC97 Audio

Display Adapters 		VISIONTEK Xtasy RADEON 9250 PCI | VISIONTEK Xtasy RADEON 9250 PCI - Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD

Screen Resolution 		1280 X 1024 - 32 bit

Network 		Network Present

Network Adapters 		ARRIS TOUCHSTONE DEVICE

CD / DVD Drives 		E: CyberDrvCW089D CD-R/RW | X: GM1348D SQD857G

COM Ports 		COM1

LPT Ports 		LPT1

Mouse 		3 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks 		C: 31.7GB | D: 5.5GB

Hard Disks - Free 		C: 3.4GB | D: 885.9MB

USB Controllers 		4 host controllers.

Firewire (1394) 		Not Detected

PCMCIA (Laptops) 		Not Installed

Manufacturer 		

Product Make 		DM181A-ABA a305w		

AC Power Status 		OnLine

BIOS Info 		AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 07/16/03 | PTLTD - 6040000

Time Zone 		Eastern Standard Time

Battery 		No Battery

Motherboard 		TriGem Computer Inc. Glendale motherboard

Modem 		Not detected

Edited by Ximmy, 04 July 2006 - 07:10 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
wow is a pretty hefty game. I could suggest some upgrades but it would be better if you saved for a new computer. Simply put your upgrade path is very limited. for example your using a celeron processor. If you were to upgrade to a full p4 of the same speed rating you would see improvment. same thing goes for the video card.

However the cpu's for your system aren't made any more. the video card limits you to agp. If you could find an x1300 in agp you would be a lot better off.

even with the upgrades there is no guaranty that you would be happy with it. For now all I can say is play the game with lower settings. 800x600 screen resolution with detail turned down. This should help.

Ximmy

Ximmy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My computer has no AGP slots. Ok here's another idea. Does anyone know of any performance enhancing console commands for WoW or CS:S? I don't know them to be honest, and I think it could help if I knew a couple.