Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Online Safety Shield trial software removal

• Please log in to reply

kjunk

kjunk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently installed some trial software called "Online Safety Shield". I had several problems with the software not working as expected so I ran their uninstall program. Now, the software now no longer appears in my Start Menu or Add/Remove Programs , however, it is still running on the
computer.

I contacted their tech support and received no response.

Any suggestions on how do you get your software off my computer?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there kjunk, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

When you say it is still running, what do you mean?

It may be a startup item, goto:
> Start
> Run
> Type in "msconfig"
> Goto "Startup" tab
> De-select all the items belonging to "Online Safety Shield"

Once you have done that, it should no longer be running. Then restart the machine and look for any folders that may be present and delete them.

If this does not resolve your problem, I will give you instructions to follow on how to post through to the malware forum, I know that this is not a malware related problem but they will be able to help you on how to delete the files and the startup entrys of the program and get it completely off.

Let me know.

Cooool :whistling:

kjunk

kjunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
spike_hacker_inc - thanks for the post.

"Still running" means that the privacy software still loads up and still blocks websites (even though I've run the uninstall).

I checked the startup (MSCONFIG) like you suggested. There was nothing there.

What I ended up doing was deleting everything in the Program Files folder (OnlineSafteyShield) and then going thru the registy and cleaning out references to OnlineSafteyShield (OSS) too.

Deleting the programs folder was tricky. This is "online privacy" software, it can "spy" on your kids activity. As a result, they take covert measures to run in the background. There are 2 task that startup (how, I still don't know). If you "end task" on one of them, the other starts it back up. Basically not allowing you to shut it down. I had to be real quick during startup to delete the files before they launched.

I emailed their support 2 weeks ago and never got a response.

I put a full review at download.com (link below) for anyone even considering this software.

http://www.download....d...mp;sb=0&v=0

Be warned everone.

(And thanks again spike_hacker_inc ) :whistling:

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there kjunk, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

Ok, well it may be possible that this is not "SafetyShield" and in actuall fact is some sought of malware, I am going to send you to the malware forum. Let the staff helping you know that this may not be a malware problem but you want to get off "SafetyShield". Let me know how things work out.

So please read this: Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log (Click on the link)

That will give you steps that will help you clean up 70% of the problems yourself. Then please download "Hijackthis" and run Hijackthis with log. Save the log file here: Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

When you have followed all these steps. A Geeks To Go Staff Member will help you fix your problem.

(Note: Please be patient, the "Malware Forum" is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual.)

Thank you and goodluck. :whistling: