Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access secure sites // IE6&FireFox

• Please log in to reply

jasonstouffer

jasonstouffer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
No matter what I do, I cannot access secure sites.. it's an INSTANT connection error. I've tried to repair IE, register all of the files, etc. but nothing seems to work. Problem happened in IE6, so I downloaded FireFox, expecting it to be an IE error, but FireFox does the exact same.

Please Help!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello jasonstouffer.

Try this:

Download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

Put a check next to Fix SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc: (towards middle-right side). This will automatically check the sub-boxes too. Leave them as is.

Now click on GO at the bottom. When it is done fixing, restart your computer and see if your problem still exists.

jasonstouffer

jasonstouffer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Completed the steps, and still receive a message box-- the page doesn't even attempt to load... the connection is instantly refused.

Edited by jasonstouffer, 04 July 2006 - 12:48 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Very strange...

Go to Start --> Run type command and press enter.

Now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. When it is finished, type exit and press enter.

Restart and see if the problem still exists. If so, do this:

Download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

jasonstouffer

jasonstouffer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Flushing the DNS did nothing.. I'm pretty sure this HJT log will be very useful-- even I see some fishy things in there.

Attached Files

Edited by jasonstouffer, 04 July 2006 - 04:23 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Your HijackThis log is clean. However, I think your problems are coming from this entry:

O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'connwsp.dll' missing

I find that it is from this product

Please let me know if you are currently using that product, or any from that company, on your computer right now. If so, try reinstalling. If not, I will give you instructions for fixing that entry.

jasonstouffer

jasonstouffer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I uninstalled that program correctly, as I wasn't even using it. The HJT entry is now gone, but I still cannot access secure pages.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I noticed you have Norton Internet Security or Norton Antivirus. People have reported problems with norton and secure sites.

Try removing Norton, and all other Symantic products and see if your problem still exists.

If so, then reinstall Noron right away. If not, then we must get you a different anti-virus software.

Let me know how it goes.

jasonstouffer

jasonstouffer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Uninstalling Norton fixed her right up. Stupid Symantec! Thanks for all of your help.