Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

self restarting PC

• Please log in to reply

qniol

qniol

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The problem is following:

Computer restarts by itself. The "danger" is during a whole booting process (doesn't matter which operating system. The difference is after log in - In windows XP case, everything works fine, but linux can restart while normal working even). It doesn't seem to restart at random step of booting, but in some characteristic points:

1. Just after pressing "on" button. It's hard to call it "restart". Nothing happens then, expexting noisy beep clinking and monitor's LEDs blinking. There's no other way than just turn it off. It happens every morning. Finally, after few switching on and off, it deign to work.

2. At work with hard disk beginning. When BIOS is already loaded and it's time to boot a system (Windows XP: just after white stripe in bottom of a screen appearing, Linux: partition checking).

3. I don't know what exactly computer does at that moment, but you can easily recognise it. In XP case: just after keyboard's LED blink while Windows logo is shown on the screen, in linux case: haven't catch that unfortunately :/

There's more about it. I've got method to walk through step 2 and 3 fine. I fire up Partition Magic from floppy and set active partition from windows to linux and back to windows. Then I can restart computer properly. But it suffices only one time :/

I'm totally confused, because i hadn't installed any new hardware and even program! Since yesterday, it just happens, without any reason. (Maybe 5 years old computer is just dying on my desk? :D)

Specification:
motherboard: KOBIAN, KOB 694X FSX
bios version: VIA694 - 42302e31 Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
processor: Intel Celeron 1002 MHz
hard disk: WDC WD200EB-00CSF0, 18 GB
memory: 256 MB (SDRAM)
graphic card: nVidia GeForce FX 5500
system: Windows XP professional, Linux - Debian 3.1

I'll be very thankful for any help. (And sorry for my english, but it's not my native language)

Advertisements