Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card installation

• Please log in to reply

rddg

rddg

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Motherboard Micro-ATX Florida-TG w/celeron @400 mhz 192mg ram running fedora linux (new kernel) from a emachine 400id
(dont laugh-it's paid for)

Hey guys, I have tried two seperate graphics cards, an old geforce mx4000 64mg and a newer radeon 7000 64mg
card with this motherboard. Now I know for sure a few years back I had a similar card running fine under windows 98
second edition.
When the newer card is installed, cannot configure x to start period, if the monitor doesnt simply blank out after bios splash screen.
The furthest I can get is a command prompt, and Bios is also innacessable, if I try, the screen for sure blanks out.
The older card worked, up and running, bios accessable, but the system freezes randomly at anytime.
One thing to note, is with the older card, when I tried to use the specific monitor (a real relic- CTX model 1451c), then the screen is irreparably off center, so I used standard crt drivers.
I've jerked around with everything I can think of, disabling/enabling onboard agp via jumper, so basically what I'm asking is, does any
one based on this info and experience have a good idea what the deal is? I'm finished poking around with this old thing otherwise, it's about to become a router.
Thanks

Advertisements