Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

user's profiles & passwords

• Please log in to reply

justjeff

justjeff

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I thought I would be slick and create a kinda hiddne user profile for myself. What I did is you know how if you do not put in any user profiles when starting up it will ask for password and the name in the box is WINME or WIN98SE....well I made that my name and gave it a password, so while every one else hits cancel as they have always done, but I can put in my password and have all my histrory and favorites saved for myself. This works great even though I have found a glitch with that and that is if you hit enter without putting a password in it goes right back to the same thing but now if you hit cancel it opens up my profile.
but my main problem is this, now the other user profile wont load up Intert Explore you get the cant not find server page like I am off line, but you can still start up on Mozilla of firefox, Opera, but not any of the IE based ones like Advance or MP3, but when you log off and go to my profile you can. And it wasnt always this way it used to work. I think I could just remove all of them and reload but I sure hate to be stuck with both of them not working.

Another issue I have is I can not create a restore date or file. I know or think I know how or why this happend just dont know how to fix. I had a small hard drive and was full so I was trying to make space and now I dont have room alloted for the restore info, but now have plenty of hard space room just dont know how to increase the amount.

I got Qwest DSL which runs at about 1.5
I dont think or dont see how it culd be a hardware issue, since it does work.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows ME was never designed to to support user profiles in this way - this kind of support was added in Windows 95 originally and has never worked properly since. Try making a new profile.

As for System Restore - there's an update on Windows Update that patches System Restore to work properly when restore points are created after September 9th 2001.

justjeff

justjeff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Maybe wasnt quite clear with the problems but must say that both worked fine for quite a long time.

It dosent seem likely to me that the user profiles would work like that for months, and that there is somthing wrong with one of them but I could be wrong.

But with the system restore you can allocate how much space is reserved for the restore information, it has to be put somewhere, and I changed it too as small as I can because the hard drive I did have was real real small under 1 gig. How do I increase the amount again?

So before I start making new profiles and deleting stuff I would like to have at least a good restore copy just in case.