Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC hangs[crashes?]on shutdown ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

deanbo

deanbo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I've got a recurring prob of my PC hanging at shutdown.

What happens is i click on start-turn off my computer and press "Turn off" and it saves settings for a couple of seconds,but when it says "windows is shutting down"[or whatever it says,as i haven't turned it off for a few days],instead of just switching off it just freezes ?
The mouse no longer works and CTRL ALT DELETE does nothing either.

Sometimes reset works,but somertimes it doesn't and then i have to shut off the power and turn back ON to get it to re-boot.

It ONLY does this when i've been downloading something with the App "u torrent".

It NEVER does it when i DON'T USE "u torrent" ,but i download a fair few things off torrents.

Does "u torrent" have some known issue like this at all ?

I know you'll just say "Don't use u torrent",but there must be some reason why ?

I've just upgraded this PC with a better[550w]Power supply,a 2496 soundcard,new 160 gig HDD[i now have 2 HDD's,one slave the other 120 gig master]and a DVD burner too.
A Fresh install of a Legal copy of XP Pro,and ALL current updates installed too.

Thing is it did this BEFORE i had the goodies added too.

As i'm legal can i just insert my XP disc and it will fix whatever might be wrong ?[Repair ?]
OR
Is this a KNOWN thing with using torrent clients ? like u torrent ?
As it only does this when i use THAT App i'm assuming it's a prob with that.

PC is

AMD XP 2500+ Barton CPU,
MSI K7 N2G-L mother board,
2 X 512mb PC 3200 ram running dual channel,
550 w power supply,
16 X DVD+RW,
Asus 52 X CD-RW,
160 gig master HDD,
120 gig slave HDD,
ATI RX-9250 AGP card,
Audiophile 2496 soundcard.

I mostly use it as DAW and a web browser,but i still need to DL things off torrents too.
I have an old P3 PC which i no longer use.
If it is an issue would i be better of using THAT to DL torrents ? Leaving my main PC free of p2p Apps ?
It's running XP pro too,and NTSC file system same as this.

Apart from this 1 THING !
My PC is fine,and i have no problems or other issues at all,if that helps.
Thanks guys and girls too. :whistling:

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

It ONLY does this when i've been downloading something with the App "u torrent".

It NEVER does it when i DON'T USE "u torrent" ,but i download a fair few things off torrents.

We do not offer help with any type of problem that results from P2P type programs, including torrents. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.