Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

desktop sees laptop laptop doesn't see desktop

• Please log in to reply

tjs57

tjs57

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I was able yesterday to access my desktop and printer from my laptop. I am using windows xp home. I can now access my laptop from my desktop but can not see any network places from my laptop.

Advertisements

Sam_G

Sam_G

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok well you will need to restart in networking mode by pressing f8. Try this method and if it doesnt work then try running the network setup wizard.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Sam G, what you are talking about is Safe Mode with Networking. This will not solve the problem in any way.

tjs57, please describe your network setup to us. For example, do you use wireless or wired? If wireless, what brand? Are both computers using XP home? Do you have firewalls on each? If so, what brands?

As you can see, we need a lot more info to diagnose your problem. If there is anything else you'd like to add, such as something you remember installing right before this problem occured, please let us know. The more you say, the better. :whistling:

tjs57

tjs57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Sam G, what you are talking about is Safe Mode with Networking. This will not solve the problem in any way.

tjs57, please describe your network setup to us. For example, do you use wireless or wired? If wireless, what brand? Are both computers using XP home? Do you have firewalls on each? If so, what brands?

As you can see, we need a lot more info to diagnose your problem. If there is anything else you'd like to add, such as something you remember installing right before this problem occured, please let us know. The more you say, the better. :whistling:

Both computers use XP home
My desktop is directly connected to internet. laptop connectioncted to internet thru wireless. I am using lynksys wireless for laptop connection. I have windows security and norton anti virus. the last ting I remember doing on network was sending something from laptop to printer. I have not installed anything since then. When I go to my network places on laptop all I see is msn. I no longer see local network listing even the shared files on my laptop.

Edited by tjs57, 05 July 2006 - 06:28 AM.

tjs57

tjs57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
got frustrated turned everything off for the 4th time. Went back 1/2 hr later and all is working for some reason now. Thanks for the help