Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor Overheating

• Please log in to reply

NoReMaC

NoReMaC

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi. I have a new system with a Pentium D 940. The processor temperature can get really hot, around 62°C, sometimes even up to 67°C/68°C. I was wondering when i should start worrying about the temperature of the processor. I'm only using the intel heatsink and fan that came with it.

By the way, my Asus P5LD2 motherboard hovers at around 45°C alot. Should I be worrying about that too?

The main reason I'm asking is to see if I should get another case fan, or a new CPU fan and heatsink.

Thx

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When you installed the heatsink on the CPU you did use thermogrease, right? The prescott processors do run a bit hot but not usually that hot. My prescott 3.0 rund around 42-45° all the time and the MB rund around 40°. I'm running the stock heatsink and fan from intel. I would take the heatsink off, clean it and regrease it to see if the temps will go down.

http://www.extremete...,1149273,00.asp

The one difference i do is that i use a sandwich baggy over my index finger to spread the BB sized drop of thermo compound on the CPU and also to spread compound on the heatsink itself. I just try to make a even coating on the square in the center of the CPU.

If that really does not help the temps you might try a better heatsink like this one.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118112

or this

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835106069

SRX660

NoReMaC

NoReMaC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I got the system built from a retailer, so I wouldn't know if they used thermogrease or not. I guess I will talk to them and see what I can do. Thanks for the help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

By all means check with the retailer but I suspect you'll find that the thermal compound isn't the issue (and even if it is, I doubt they will admit to it).

The fact that your motherboard temp is slightly high as well, suggests that the issue may be one of airflow and case cooling.
Think about where you have the case situated in terms of airflow & temperature - EG boxed in under a desk is bad for air flow etc.

You may also want to consider adding another case fan if possible. If there are mounting areas for a fan in the case, then consider adding an exhaust fan or two.

NoReMaC

NoReMaC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yea, there is room for another exhaust fan, so I'll probably add one aswell. Thanks for the advice.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

If there are mounting areas for a fan in the case, then consider adding an exhaust fan or two.

Sorry, that was supposed to read 'if there aren't'.
As you do have space for one fan, add a 8cm (or whatever size it takes) case fan. Exhaust fans either fit in the back where the PCI cards go or in the front in a 5.25in bay.

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
hi

i have the same promblem im sat here with just fire fox and everest open and my temp is:

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83627EHF (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)
Motherboard Name Asus P4GD / P4GPL / P5AD / P5GD / P5P800 Series

Temperatures:
Motherboard 44 °C (111 °F)
CPU 71 °C (160 °F)
GPU 69 °C (156 °F)
Seagate ST3250823AS 43 °C (109 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 3516 RPM
Chassis 2377 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.52 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 5.51 V
+12 V 12.28 V
+5 V Standby 4.97 V
Debug Info F 8E 03 FF
Debug Info T 44 71 52
Debug Info V A9 E3 CE CD FF CA 00 (03)

and i have my case open (e.g. no top, or sides)

what can i do to reduce the temp?

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
i was having similar porblems with my systems running really hot temps like that and i have recently switched to liquid cooling. I have the kingwin aquastar 3000 which i got for $100 on newegg.com and it has worked wonders. My gpu, an asus 6800 gt was running at arounf 75 on idel and 81 on load and no its 50 on idel and hasnt gone above 55 on load. For my cpu which is a 3.2 ghz prescott was running 55 on idel with a stock cpu fan and 5 case fans. Now its running 39 idol and around 49 on load and with only one 80 mm exhaust fan and a 120 mm intake fan. Its finally quiet enough for me to think

NoReMaC

NoReMaC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have been thinking about liquid cooling aswell. The main thing I'm worried about is leakage. :whistling: How long have you had yours? And have you had any problems?

Edited by NoReMaC, 06 July 2006 - 04:32 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dunno with those results with the aquastar arent actually that impressive considering you still use an 80 and 120, i get better temps with two 120s and a zalman GPU cooler, and it cost me alot less.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Rothers2005

I don't know which part of the UK you live in, but as you will know we've been experiencing something of a heatwave for the last week or two, especially in the south.
This will drive your computers temps right up, even late at night. I know, cuz I've just installed 3 additional case cases in mine (not sure many I have in total now but i's well into double figures), due to the recent weather.

Your motherboard & HDD temps are OK, but the cpu & gpu are rather high, even for a P4.

Firstly, beware of running it with the sides off of the case. If removing the sides makes the cpu/gpu temps, then leave them off for now until you've improved the system cooling setup.
In therory, if you have case fans & they are setup correctly, then it should be cooler with the sides etc in place because then it effectively acts as a vacuum.

What you need to do if possible, is install more fans obviously but pay attention to the direction of airflow. i.e make sure that the fans blow air in one end of the case & out at the other.

Also check the cpu heatsink/fan, case fans, grills etc for dust. If necessary, clean with a can compressed air.
Also check the cabling. If you have lots of cables (especially flat ribbon cables) running through the middle of the case, then they are likely to obstruct the flow of air & should be moved.

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
ive had mine for about a month, and so far i havent had any problems at all, but seeing as i havent had it for that long problems could still develop. As for leeking you can get coolant that doeant conduct electrticity, which i guess could still hurt your system but not as badly as water could

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
thanks Samm for the info

i live 'up north' but yea we have had so freak heat aswel, ive just got back form the shop with a new case for my PC and ive fitted everything and here are the results

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83627EHF (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)
Motherboard Name Asus P4GD / P4GPL / P5AD / P5GD / P5P800 Series

Temperatures:
Motherboard 39 °C (102 °F)
CPU 71 °C (160 °F)
GPU 69 °C (156 °F)
Seagate ST3250823AS 33 °C (91 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 3516 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.53 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+5 V 5.46 V
+12 V 12.28 V
+5 V Standby 4.95 V
Debug Info F FF 03 FF
Debug Info T 39 71 55
Debug Info V AA DF CC CB FF CA 00 (03)

still quite high im gunna install a fan at the back and see what happens

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
new heatsink (CPU fan) and the temps still knocking 70c :whistling: so extra case fans are my last hope

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
so i now have 3 case fans on at the rear, one at the front and one at the side and i bought a real big new *new* fan for the CPU im running temps of:

Temperatures:
Motherboard 36 °C (97 °F)
CPU 60 °C (140 °F)
GPU 60 °C (140 °F)
Seagate ST3250823AS 37 °C (99 °F)

im gunna buy 2more fans 2moz to help keep things cool or cooler