Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Processor Overheating

• Please log in to reply

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
well ive changed it so i have 2 rear fan and 1 side one and my temps are down

my CPU is 55-57
gpu 53

so its working

how many fans have you got on ur case samm and where do u put them

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Those last set of temps you posted are certainly looking healthier! Let me know what the temps are after installing the last 2 fans.

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
installed 2 new front fans and the temps are now

Temperatures:
Motherboard 36 C (97 F)
CPU 59 C (138 F)
GPU 53 C (127 F)
Seagate ST3250823AS 30 C (86 F)

is that ok? i mean the CPU one does flick up to 62-3 is that rite or sud i try some more cooling???? :S

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Its certainly a vast improvement. The cpu temp is still a little high but it's out of the critical range.

I think the only other thing you could consider if necessary, is replace the thermal compound on the heatsink.
I suggest you try Arctic Silver but make sure you get the right one for your particular cpu. Arctic's website contains detailed instructions for applying the compound. You must follow these exactly otherwise you risk making matters worse!

Rothers2005

Rothers2005

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
ive cracked it! i looked in task manager and there was a svchost running at CPU 50%, with a bit of reaserch and now will auto update disabled my computer is running at:

Temperatures:
Motherboard 31 C (88 F)
CPU 48 C (118 F)
GPU 57 C (135 F)
Seagate ST3250823AS 30 C (86 F)

could this have been down to a virus?

NoReMaC

NoReMaC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hmm. I checked my task manager aswell, and saw System Idle Process running at CPU 99%, even though the actual CPU usage ranged from 0-2%. Does that fit? I know that I can't turn off the process but should it be running with such a high CPU usage? Aaaahhh I'm so confused...

Edited by NoReMaC, 09 July 2006 - 06:50 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Rother2005 -
svchost is a process that can be started by many different programs, including Automatic Updates for XP.
If disabling Auto update service has lowered the cpu usage right down, then fine. However, as you suggested, a virus or malware could also be responsible for this type of behaviour.

I suggest you update your antivirus program & run a full scan with it. After that use either Ewido or Spybot to scan for malware (both are free to download & use).

NoReMac -
If System Idle Process is running at 99%, then that means only 1% of the cpu is actually being utilised. This is perfectly normal & nothing to worry about. In fact, the higher this value is, the better.

NoReMaC

NoReMaC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ah, I see how it works. Thanks for the help. I should be getting some more cooling in the next day or two.

NoReMaC

NoReMaC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok. I just got a new Thermaltake CPU heatsink + fan, aswell as another case fan. (I now have 1 exhaust, and one side panel.)

temps:

CPU- 45C - 51C
MB- 42C - 44C

The CPU currently doesn't go far above 50C. It's of course not ideal, but far better then the temps I was getting before. Thanks for the advice everyone. :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

The CPU currently doesn't go far above 50C. It's of course not ideal, but far better then the temps I was getting before. Thanks for the advice everyone. :blink:

You're very welcome. 50C is a vast improvement on before & certainly well within safe parameters for temperature :whistling:

Advertisements