Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mm... Get's a little interesting

• Please log in to reply

Tigger93

Tigger93

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,870 posts
http://www.cnn.com/2...sile/index.html

http://www.foxnews.c...,202060,00.html

Think that gets the point accross. :whistling:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
:help: Here it comes... :whistling: I see much trouble coming from this in the future :blink:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AAAH Cnn and Fox cause they are really impartial. (sarcasm)

Only a big deal if someone makes it one.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Funny, when they (media & Gov) both scoff at the failed long range missle, I start to fear that it may actually work. Plus its not the range, but the payload thats scary!!!

Andyman111

Andyman111

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Its scares me also about the payload and if its capable of hitting western United States thats worse yet! Could it possibly be another Cold War exept with N. Korea? I don't know but sure seems like alot of tension between US and N.Korea.

Edited by Andyman111, 04 July 2006 - 07:41 PM.

Andyman111

Andyman111

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry Double Post

Edited by Andyman111, 04 July 2006 - 07:42 PM.

Andyman111

Andyman111

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry again...

Edited by Andyman111, 04 July 2006 - 07:46 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What's scary is the thought that madmen like those that control N. Korea and Iran may develop nuclear weapons AND a system to deliver them as far as 9,000 miles away. This not only puts a good portion of the United States and Canada within reach, but a large part of the Eurasian continent, North Africa, and Australia as well.

Do the N. Korean people know what's going on? Of course not! 85% of the population don't even have electricity or running water, yet the political and military elite live in the lap of luxury...there's something wrong with that picture.

Speaking of pictures, can anyone spot N. Korea in the picture at the link below?

http://www.solarview...earthlights.jpg

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
These weapons are nothing new, the taipdong missiles have been capable of hitting the westren US for years. The problem they face is lack of guidance to deliver any sort of payload with precision. Rather old technology considering the multiple independantly targetable re-entry vehicles (MIRV's) that circle the globe and in use for about 30 years now. This testing is just a phase of acuring missiles, no point in having them as a mutual assured deterent if they don't work. We saw this with ineficient scuds in 1991.
Mutual assured destruction (known as MAD) is the you strike me, and i'll stike back scenario largly becoming obsolete with the axeing of the ABM treaty. Anti ballistic missiles system such as the Safeguard program, the strategic defence initiative (SDI) and the recent NMD program will see (to quote Regan) "these weapons become obsolete".
These weapons only purpose is rather political so I don't think I will go to far in depth.

North Korea doesn't have an resources to supply power houses at night, hence the reason for re-opening Nuclear power stations, clean cheap energy, and a deterent. Shipping proposed coal could have easily solved this problem years ago.
A point to remember is that Iran is almost completly enveloped.

Do the N. Korean people know what's going on? Of course not!

It's national media is the main information source for most of us, it is always quoted refering to it's nuclear devolpment, and political ideology. It's the tool used to deliver propaganda to it's population. Jong-il would certainly capitalise on this event with more empty rhetoric.
I could type all day but I will stop about here.

s2006

s2006

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Funny, when they (media & Gov) both scoff at the failed long range missle, I start to fear that it may actually work. Plus its not the range, but the payload thats scary!!!

:help: i agree too it is scary. the leader of N korea is a very hostile man. :whistling: i think what makes this situation even more sensitive is the world having witnessed washington's approach towards the decision on the iraq war. our military force on iraq and overthrowing its sovereignty is enough to piss off any nation challenging US political decision making. let's face it, the world perceives the US as a power [bleep] that is a gluttony for economic gain. money and power is always the root issue in politics isn't it.

my thought....if the leader of N Korea is already using missiles as a precursor for a nuclear war then i'd rather go fight in iraq....:blink:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I think North Korea has timed it well, it knows that it can blackmail not only America but also China here for more aid. China has a lot more to fear from an unstable North Korea since it touches on the Taiwan problem, Japanese military build up and American bases. One thing is for sure China didn't put North Korea up to it.

I won't mention America because this site has banned political threads.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Politics is not at issue here. Nuke totin' madmen are.

Food for thought...Anatomy of ground zero (small warhead/20KT/detonated at 1,500 ft)

Ground zero: 1.8 mile radius. Everything is reduced to fine white ash. Soil is heat sterilized to a depth of 3 feet. Area is irradiated with such intensity that it will not be inhabitable for generations. No living thing will survive in this zone.

Blast zone: 1.8 miles to 8 miles out from ground zero. Blast and shock waves from the detonation will destroy and incinerate everything in this zone. There will be rubble, but nothing recognizable. Area is irradiated with such intensity that it will not be inhabitable for generations. No living thing will survive in this zone.

Shock zone: 8 miles to 15 miles out from ground zero. Superheated shock wave will topple buildings and incinerate any exposed combustable material. Area is irradiated with such intensity that it will not be inhabitable for generations. 80% of all living things in this zone will die instantly, the other 20% will die within hours of radiation burns/poisoning.

From 15 miles to 30 miles out from the detonation, there will be severe to moderate structure damage. Up wind of the blast, radiation levels will be survivable in the short term. Downwind, survival is not possible. Area is irradiated with such intensity that it will not be inhabitable for generations. 40% of all living things in this zone will survive.

There is no zone in which 100% of all life will survive as the wind will carry a plume of radioactive debris and dust around the globe. Inocent people will die of the effects from this detonation for the next 50 years. The first two zones will not be inhabitable in your lifetime or your childrens'.

Now, if the thought of a warhead this size (which is quite small by modern standards) sitting atop a Taepo Dong 3 ICBM and Kim Jong-il holding the fire button doesn't scare you, nothing will. Do we really want to sit and watch while a madman fiddles with his warheads and missles until he gets one to work?

Diplomacy is a great option when it works, but you have to be able to get all the parties involved to sit down and talk rationally. This is something that won't be accomplished simply because N. Korea is not interested in a solution. They are intent on holding the world hostage to get the concessions they want. And you know what? The way things are going...they just might pull it off.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
So would you suggest pre-emption is the answer?

Edited by sarahw, 06 July 2006 - 09:46 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not at all, but I'd sure be for slapping some serious sanctions on them right quick. I feel for the N. Korean people, but the sanctions won't have much effect on them. They already struggle every day just to survive...it's the elite who'll feel the pinch. They need to be made to understand that the behavior they now exhibit is just not acceptable in a modern, civilized world.

War has it's place, IMHO, but it's in the house of last resort.

I think Iran needs a "time out", too... :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
The Rusian ambassador has already said the Moscow is against sanctions, China has hinted that intention too. Sanctions from a disunited front are not going to hold. Also, as seen in Iraq they can actually strengthen the hold of leaders of the country
in glueing the people against those imposing the sanctions.

I would go for getting an agreement from the security council allowing the shooting down and recovery of projectiles which are deemed as flying towards or flying over countries without permission, in this case Japan.