Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winxp disk cleanup deleted all my files

• Please log in to reply

neilium

neilium

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just had a wonderful experience.
Thought I'd defrag a partition, clicked properties, disk cleanup, and there were two options 1 was recycle bin with 0 files the second was 'Catalogue files for content indexer'.
When I highlighted this second option, the advice at the bottom said.

The Indexing Service speeds up and enriches file searches by maintaining an index of the files on this disk. These files are left over from a previous indexing operation and can be deleted safely.

OH REALLY?
Yes folks just lost eighty plus gigs of data. it left the folders only and a few config files in them. And ( file indexing is turned off in the system info)
I have no idea why this option is there and the missinformation it espouses. I tried a small file restore program but it advises to copy to a different drive which is not available to me. So upon restoring some of the files I could find I got about a one percent success rate. I have not tested these files as to their completeness as yet.
Has anyone experienced this dissaster?
Mr microsoft.. why???
Cheers Neil

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Neil,

What you did should not have done what you describe. It is really just a nasty coincidence.

It sounds like your partition table is hosed

I have had some luck recovering partitions with this tool

http://www.cgsecurit...g/wiki/TestDisk

but it is not exactly easy to use

neilium

neilium

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi gerry,
thanks for your reply, I wonder if it's to do with "Partition magic 8' which I used to partition the drive. I also partitioned my friends drive with this tool and called him yesterday to check if it had that option in his cleanup tool, he said yes it is and it is ticked, I got him to untick it just in case but he also uses a different disk cleaning tool than the winxp one so, I just don't know. Ive given up on recovery now and just want to alert others to this possibility.
Cheers Neil

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
partition magic is not....perfect.

I've had it ruin a partition table more than once. It does work great, but I (almost) always do a disk image first

neilium

neilium

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Gerry,
I must admit I do things way past my knowledge skills on pc's, I'm afraid I'm just not academic with comprehending the ways of computing, more the mechanical brain me, visual.
On a different note..
I purchased an adsl router modem last november, it kept dropping packets with its memory full after about six hours or more of p2p connection. I finally demanded a full refund after cooperating with the company to find a solution which involved exchanging four.4 routers.
they came up with some software update that fixed it three weeks ago.
Do I deserve to be paid as a contractor in testing this product and helping them make it work.? ha after eight months of putting up with it not working correctly. I had to buy another router modem to use instead which of course works perfectly. I now have the router with new software, running how it is supposed to run, as well as the one I purchased to use whilst this one was faulty.
Just some gossip.
Cheers Neil

Edited by neilium, 05 July 2006 - 05:24 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, you do....amd if you have windows genuine advantage notification running, you should get paid for beta testing software for Microsoft, too, but that won't happen either,,,,sorry to say

practical tip--never be an early adopter of any technolgy or device. Let them work the bugs out first. Second, buying 1 tier below the newest means you get almost as much use at half the cost

neilium

neilium

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
True, my router is now selling at half the price I paid... I thought it was because it was a dud...

I'm blaming God...... lightning in my phone line started all this... ha ha..
Cheers Neil