Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive does not detect any media

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I have a Dell Dimention 8400 desktop running windows xp home edition with sp2.

Several weeks ago I was listening to audio cds through the dvd drive (D:) with no problem. Today, when I tried to play the same cd, the drive reported that there was no disk inserted. My other drive (cd-rw drive E) detected and played the cds normally.

I have not updated any drivers for the drive (none were available for updates) and have not updated the system in any way (beyond updating anti-virus definitions) that I am aware of. I've tried restarting the computer, but it does not help.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Does the drive show up in windows explorer? If you put a cd in it and navigate to the drive in explorer, can you access the drive and read the cd? Does the drive show up in device manager and is ther a yellow ! next to it? Got to start, my computer right click properties, hardware tab and select device manager. The answers to these questions will help determine a possible course of action.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Yes, the drive shows up in windows explorer.

When I put in a cd (I tried audio cds, both store-bought and ones I made, and data cds), the drive light flashes for a few seconds but nothing shows up in windows explorer. If I try to open the drive through explorer or "my computer" I get a message saying "please insert a disk into drive D:".

It shows up in device manager, but it does not have the yellow warning exclaimation point, and the status says the device is working properly.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a couple of things you can try...system restore..take it back a couple weeks...try it ..no joy..

then go to the device manager and remove the device ..uninstall it..reboot and let windows "find it"...test drive

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Neither system restore nor uninstalling/reinstalling made a difference.

Thanks for the advice though.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...

Determine whether Windows recognizes the CD-ROM drive. Start Microsoft Windows Explorer, and see if a drive letter is assigned to the CD-ROM drive.
If the CD-ROM drive does have a drive letter, try to view a folder by using the CD-ROM drive. Make sure that you insert a data CD into the CD-ROM drive.
If you can read a data CD but cannot play a music CD, use one of the following methods:
In Control Panel, start Sounds and Audio Devices, click the Hardware tab, and then make sure that the CD/DVD drive is listed, in addition to Audio Codecs.
If these items are not listed, use the Add/Remove Hardware program in Control Panel to reinstall these drivers.
If the system is configured to dual-boot to another operating system, confirm that the CD-ROM drive functions in the other operating system. If the CD-ROM drive does not function correctly in MS-DOS or in another operating system, contact the manufacturer of the drive for help

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I inserted a data-cd.

The drive was recognized (a letter was assigned in Windows Explorer), but I was unable to view the contents of the cd. Got the "please insert disk in drive D" error again.

The only operating system on my machine is windows XP.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Actually, the filters are usually the problem. Here's an automated script for fixing them, takes the risk of editing the wrong thing away.

Now, if you've deleted some other stuff associated with the drives, you may have done something that this script can't fix. If so, I suggest a repair installation of XP to attempt to correct that.

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- cut after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
------------------------------ cut before this line --------------------------------

I stole ..uh uh.. borrowed this from johnwill so if it doesn't work we will blame him :whistling: ...and of course if it works I should get the credit :blink: :help:

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Lol, looks like we'll be blaming johnwill after all. :whistling:

Sorry to say, I still get the "please insert disk" message...I'll try opening the comp. box and reconnecting the cables in case they came loose, but don't know if I have the time tonight...

Thanks for your help!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'd give john [bleep] but then he would know I have his reg hack :whistling:

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also try updating windows itself..be sure to get any hardware and software updates while you are there...they are on the left side

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
A question from he who does not know much -

Celestial Teardrop: Have you got Daemon Tools or other CD emulators installed? Their drivers can sometimes meddle with the registry settings and create strange behaviours. For example, on my machine it caused instant restarts in itunes whenever I inserted an audio CD. Unrelated, I know but try uninstalling any emulators.

Other than that stick with happrck and staff - they're good :whistling:

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Digikiwi, no I don't have any of that installed.

Happyrck, should I undo the registry hack? If so, how?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no...its OK...it just set them how they were supposed to be

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have the case open be sure to be static safe..touch bare metal inside the case before touching anything inside....the computer must be unplugged from wall not just switched off...while in there you can change the cable with a known good cable if availible