Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD drive does not detect any media

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I tried opening the comp box, but made little progress. All the cables appeared to be in place, and I don't really know much about hardware to spy anything out of the ordinary.

In the meantime I also updated firmware for the drive, but that also did not make any difference.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Have you tried cleaning the optical lens? You can get a cleaning disk (this is like a cd with some small bushes on one side) at Walmart, Bestbuy...almost any electronics dept store for around $10.00.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Oh, I didn't know about that austin_o. Thanks for the tip I'll try that.

I called Dell yesterday and they only suggested that I try to insert the cd and see if I can look at its contents in windows explorer. After I told them nothing is visible they said they'd send a replacement drive.

Nevertheless, I'm interested to see if cleaning the lens will solve the problem so I'll give that a shot.