Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB driver

• Please log in to reply

arabcamel

arabcamel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have restored my computer because of a new hard drive. I have USB 2.0 ports, but there are only running at 1.0. i can't find the driver for the USB, can you help me. I have the recovery cd's and they dont have them on the cd's? my model of my laptop. Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX. thanks!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have had good luck buying a drivers disk from this company.

http://www.driverdis...m/sony-list.htm

If you are running XP a xp cd should be able to install the windows XP usb drivers. You also may find drivers here.

http://www.usbman.co...and Patches.htm

You may also be able to use the microsoft update.

http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 05 July 2006 - 03:41 AM.

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I tried the Microsoft update, and I'm gonna try and hold off on buying a cd. I went to the USBman link you gave me, it seemed to be a good website, but how do i figure out what kind of USB ports I have? this way I can download the correct driver for it from a list.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Stick Service Pack 2 on your computer if you haven't already. This features built-in support for USB 2 which the original Windows XP didn't have.

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have service pack 2, that's the confusing thing about it. It should pick it up but it's not. I mean, I'm able to use the USB, but a pop up window from the system tray keeps telling me that I could be running at a faster speed or something, and I tried to load something via USB from my external hard drive and it took FOREVER. So I'm assuming it's running at the 1.1 speed instead of the usb 2.0 speed. what can i do?

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Have you noticed that searching for USB problems is a real pain as the search string needs to be at least 4 characters long :whistling: ?

I suggest you do a bit of reading of previous posts, and would recommend you look for threads answered by Jack123. He's tech staff and knows a lot about USB. He sometimes is around and sometimes otherwise busy, but you'll probably find a fix in one of his posts.

hope this helps

Digikiwi

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I tried that, but it's different for everyone because it depends on what kind of model computer you have and whatnot. So i can't really replicate the directions someone gave to another person with the same problem. So i started a new topic and asked jack123 to help me out in a private message. if anyone else can help me, please do so! i need all the help i can get!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...

To Enable USB 2.0:

1. Reboot (or power on) system.
2. Press delete or F1 orF2 during POST (Power-on Self Test) to enter system BIOS setup program.
3. Select "ADVANCED" menu using arrow (left and right) keys.
4. Select "USB Configuration" and press <enter>.
5. Enable "High-speed USB".
6. Press "F10" to Save & Exit BIOS setup program. ( Hi-Speed USB 2.0 controllers are now enabled and your operating system should detect New Hardware during the next normal boot cycle.
7. Cancel "New Hardware Found"

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I tried to go into the BIOS setup, I went to ADVANCED, but there was no "USB configuration" for me to change. I think that has something to do with the fact that when i go to device manager I see "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" under "other devices with a yellow question mark. what does that actually mean and what should I do to fix it?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it means you will have to install drivers to get it to work...

Advertisements

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
do you know where I can find the drivers? I have the recovery CD's and they are not on there for some reason. I want to try and find them online, but I don't know what kind I have to look for the correct drivers. How would I find out the USB brand abd whatnot that i have?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to your motherboards site and look for drivers for your model motherboard...get any newer bios and chipset drivers they have for your mobo

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – arabcamel [Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX – USB 2.0 Driver]
9th July 2006

asked jack123 to help me out in a private message

arabcamel – Hi – Welcome to – Geeks to Go – Sorry but I have not been – On Line – much the last 2 weeks because of the – Violent Thunderstorms – in our area & frequent loss of Power –

I am answering your request here - so that all can view -

I tried to look up specs on – Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX – but could not locate the exact model – but what I did find – did not – clearly define USB 2.0 support – to my satisfaction – [??]

So I want you to –

1st – Download the – Free Home Edition of Everest – Then I need you to generate 4 reports in HTML format & attach the reports in your next Post – See Everest Report Instructions Attachment – DO not embed reports in your Post – They are – Too Long – & will be truncated/cut-off – Use Attachment Feature -

2nd – Do a search on your PC for the USB 2.0 Drivers – See USB Search Instructions Attachment –

3rd – Open Device Manager – Expand all – Universal Serial Bus Controllers – and see if there are any entries – for – USB 2.0 Host Controllers – or – USB 2.0 Root Hub –

4th – Right Click – My Computer – Open – Properties Page – Click – General Tab – This should list what – Service Pack is installed -

Everest should define your – USB Support – & the – Search – should show what – [b]USB Drivers are actually available
– on your PC –

Everest should also give you the info – happyrck – was advising – under the Motherboard Report -

go to your motherboards site and look for drivers for your model motherboard...get any newer bios and chipset drivers they have for your mobo

This will only be valid if – Chipset is USB 2.0 [Hardware] Compatible – You may have to contact – Motherboard Support group – for USB 2.0 Support – [??}

Did you upgrade from WIN 98 – or WIN Me - to WIN XP [??}

Jack123

Attached File  01_USB_Driver_Search_Routine_Attachment.doc   19KB   31 downloads - Search Routine Instructions

Attached File  02_Instructions_EVEREST_Report_Attatchment.doc   33.5KB   48 downloads - Everest Report & Attachment Instructions

Edited by Jack123, 08 July 2006 - 11:15 PM.

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
here's part one that I just did. I'm gonna finish the other steps you recommended and reply to those as well... thanks in advance

Attached Files

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
USB search results:

bthusb, usb101et, usb101et, usb8023, usb8023x, usbaudio, usbccgp, usbehci, usbhub, usbintel, usbbohci, usbport, usbprint, usbscan, usbser, usbstor, usbuhci, usbvideo, wceusbsh, btusb, hidusb, PELUSlf, usb8023, usb8023x, usbcamd, usbcamd2, usbccgp, usbd, usbehci, usbhub, usbintel, usbohci, usbport, usbstor, usbvideo, wpdusb