Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User broken?

• Please log in to reply

yafim

yafim

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi.
I was away for a couple of days and when I came back home to my comp which I left turned off, I turned it on. When the log-in screen popped up, there was probably some kind of power glitch in the house or somthing because the power disconnected for just one moment and came back on.
The computer was off, so I had to start it on again, I did, and then when I tried to log into my user (which is not Admin) it told me:

Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted. Contact your administrator.

I have an admin user also, I haven't tried to log into it yet, I don't know if it will help...

Does anyone know how to solve this and why it happened? a virus maybe?

Plz help. Thanks.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would guess because your PC experienced a power outage it locks out all other accounts other than admin on a reboot and needs admin account to set things right. Have you tried to log in via admin, complete check of your admin setup, then switch users? I am not a Win 2000 user so if you feel uncomfortable doing this, don't hesitate saying so as it will not hurt my feelings. :whistling: It's alright to wait for someone who uses Win 2000.

Ron

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
My admin user works, but i don't understand what "complete check of your admin setup" means, what steps do i need to take to set things right?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Since you now say your admin user works, then I guess you have logged in and there's no further steps needed for that part. I was wondering whether or not you could log in and wanted you to try. Does switching from admin account to the user account generate the same problem with loading your profile in that account? You may have to delete that profile, but any work will have to be done from the admin user account.

If we don't get this solved today, it will be awhile before I post back as I will be without Internet service after 6th July. Waiting longer than 3 days for an answer, you can post in the Waiting Room section of this forum. I apologize if I have to keep you waiting.

Ron

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think it is what windows reported--a corrupt profile/registry hive.

Is there any reason that you need this old profile? Could you create another?

You can try running

start > run
cmd
<enter>

chkdsk /r
<enter>

but a corrupt registry hive may not be possible to fix

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I ran the chkdsk, found the disk clean.
When I try to log into the old user, it lets me, but when i do, my user is not the same, it's like a temporary user with the same name that the computer created because the old one is corrupted...

My old user was not an "admin", it was the user I worked on all the time and kept all my stuff in.
Is it possible to "copy" the old user and make a new one so it will look the same?

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Just copy any important files from your corrupt profile using your admin account.
Most of these files will be in c:\documents and settings\<account>\
Files loacted in other folders then this one, don't need to be copied (however, a backup on a cd, external hd or whatever is always usefull)
After that, delete the corrupt profile and create a new.

greets

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Unless you have some very eccentric settings that cannot be duplicated, that is what I would do

The file that is causing your issue is the ntuser.dat (the user hive profile)

Create a new profile and then copy everything over (my documents, favorites, etc)

The only thing you need to be careful with is the email...what program do you use?

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Okay guys, the problem was a lot easier to solve than I thought because all I had to do was create a new user.

I deleted the old user and just copied some stuff from the Doc & Settings to the new user folder, and now the user is working okay.

I didn't have anything that was TOO important on the user so I copied everythign i needed.

Thanks for the help. :whistling: