Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New motherboard but no displ<y

• Please log in to reply

StaticRed

StaticRed

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
ok hi every one this is my first post, ok first of ill tell ya what happened, i moved from ireland to germany and my compute was sent over by post,, big mistake, when it arrived i opened it and it was in pieces, my new gaming case was destroyed, they were so rough that the screws holding the hard drive it were ripped out of the screw holes and the hard drive had a nice wee piggy back ride on top of my mother board all the way from ireland to germany. as u can guess by now my mother board is screwed, any way i bought a new motherboard, its a

PCCHIPS 661-FX FSB 800 DDR 400,
intel celeron 1.8 Ghz processor,
512mb ram,

i know its not the best but i just moved and cant afford going crazy buying the best at the moment, any way i installed it today connected everything, put the power lead in, oh and by the way the psu is a 350w HI point, any how, it powers up, the fans are spinning the lights on the case are on, the drives are spinning and the hard drive is spinning but the monitor wont come on, just stays on standby, i have a geforce mx 128mb graphics card tried that, tried the onboard graphics card ..but noting, i need help, could it be the psu isnt powerful enough? hope some one can help,

Edited by StaticRed, 05 July 2006 - 04:59 AM.

Advertisements

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
can no one help? :whistling: :blink:

speleocaver

speleocaver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I would try either your tv if you have a monitor jack or svideo jack. I would suspect if you tried a new monitor or different one just to see because if they did that to your computer your monitor may have a few missing unplugged? loose? parts.... or plug your monitor into a different computer to check it have your buddy drop by with his laptop. Drivers may be an issue what OS are you running?

Opening your monitor can be hazardous to your health.... bee careful as your monitor has HIGH VOLTAGE present even when unplugged for a long time. The screen acts like a GIANT capicitor and it can be Very Dangerous.

Best Regards,

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
thanks for your reply

the monitor is from here i didnt send it over, but it works ok i tried it on my laptop, i tried it on my girlfriends computer it works i tried it on her grandpas computer it works, i also tried his monitor on my computer but no display, my os is windows xp pro

thanks in advance

Edited by StaticRed, 05 July 2006 - 03:30 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Plug the monitor into each monitor port (the blue one) in turn. Some motherboards don't automatically turn off the onboard graphics when you install a separate card.

Also some boards (including yours) have a separate 4-pin connector that needs to be plugged in before the board will work. Just plugging in the 20pin block doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid.

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
i have tried each port over and over tried removing one stick of ram tried loads of thing,s i know about the 4 pin connection i have it connected from the start, but no go,

thansk for your replay

speleocaver

speleocaver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
so you are running a windows OS set up to run a different motherboard?

It is possible that if it is a different enough motherboard the software will not run. Sometimes it is designed that way so you can not run the same OS on a different computer especially if it is a Restore Copy or a copy that is designed for a particular model as it may not have the drivers needed for your new motherboard. I would try to install windows again on another spare hard drive or if you dont care on the origional hard drive just to see if you get a break.
:blink: :whistling:

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
i would like to try that, but how i cant get the monitor working so cant see what i am doing , plus i dont have another computer that i can format it with, my girlfriend wont let me try hers lol.

Edited by StaticRed, 05 July 2006 - 04:50 PM.

speleocaver

speleocaver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
put your (standard) XP windows cd in the drive and reboot the puter it should have enough stuff to start the monitor. Use the on board monitor output. if after the cd starts and you see nothing well then it was not meant to be. and you dont have to insall windows after all.

speleocaver

speleocaver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
after it loads up you may need to tap the space bar

Advertisements

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
just tried it there now...nothing happened, how am i meant to format my hard drive and reinstall windows when i cant use my old motherboard seeing as its in pieces, awww what am i 2 do :whistling:

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
ok tried for hours today, trying to get it going, took old brass risers out and put new ones in then took the whole machine apart, reinstalled the processor, fan, only plugged in one stick of ram in the dimm 1 slot, connected the 2 power leads, 20 and 4 pin, connected the monitor to the onboard graphics, BUT just no display everything powers up, FANS ARE SPINNING LIGHTS ON FANS ARE ON, DRIVES ARE SPINNING , but monitor just wont come on

one thing i wanta ask,

on my mobo there are no lights, meaning there isnt any leds, and no beeping if i plug speakers in to the jack at the back will the beeping come through them, or does any one know were the case speaker cable plugs in to on my board its the black and red cable that u can see on the right,
i have searched and seached on the net but cant find a pic of my board, its not even on the pcchips website, on the box it shows round 3d space ships but i cant find that or my board on the net, the code for the board is PCCHIPS 661-FX FSB 800 DDR 400 but when i look at them they are not the same board mine has 1 AGP 8X, 3 PCI slots and NO modem slot; the ones on the pcchips website are different they have modem slots and a few other things are different, i have attached a photo of the bottom half of mine thats were things are different,

do you think the mobo could be faulty, or is there any other thing i can try befor i have to go back to the shop, if you can help please please do

thanks,

Attached Thumbnails

• mobo.JPG

Edited by StaticRed, 06 July 2006 - 01:14 PM.

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
no more :whistling: :blink: :help: :yes: :) :woot: :woot: :woot: for me?

Edited by StaticRed, 06 July 2006 - 06:54 PM.

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Found out what the problem was, took it back to the shop were i bought the mother board , the shop that looked at my processor and then ordered a board for my processor,, i must have spent 10 hours trying to get it going, turns out........the processor doesnt work with that board, the bloody tits, i asked what now, i said do i get a new mother board, they said, if a new one that fits my processor isnt to much of a price difference then i get it free.. in other words if they can only get a dear one in, they expect me to pay..no way i paid for that motherboard in good fait going on their advice, they made the misstake, not me,...what u guys think about thus

Edited by StaticRed, 11 July 2006 - 10:54 AM.

speleocaver

speleocaver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
:blink: who is to say that your processor is not fried now? I would tell them to put the two togeather and see that it works before you accept the item bring your housing in if you have to. If they can't show it works then demand a refundcause they led you down the wrong path to start with. And that they might still be leading you the wrong way. Perhaps they would give a refund and you could go somewhere that know what they are doing??

It didn't happen to me and I'm mad!! :whistling: