Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with new notebook

• Please log in to reply

ed0

ed0

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Greetings!

I am new here and hoping that you will be able to help me with my problem! First off i would like to greet everyone. :woot: Second i hope this topic is in the right place. :help: Third on with my problem. :)

:whistling:

I have recently bought a new notebook (AMILO A1650G). I was quite satisfied with it, untill it was turned on for about 15 minutes, that's when it started happening.

The Synaptic TouchPad and the Keyboard suddenly died (did not respond, i couldn't move the cursor or type anything). So all that was left to do was reboot. After the reboot everything worked fine again, for about 15 minutes, when it happened again.

I than tried pluging in a USB Mouse which worked, so is it possible that the Synaptic TouchPad and Keyboard are defective? Is it a known issue with a fix? Please help me!

PS: When rebooted, Windows XP would freeze up at the screen where it says Shutting down (so i had to hold the Power button to reboot it).

Kind Regards!

:blink:

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
It could be a corrupt driver or software conflict, but a hardware failure is also entirely possible. If you bought it new it should be under warranty, perhaps you even have phone support?

ed0

ed0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried lowering the VGA's RAM from 128MB to 64MB, it seems to work great now! :whistling:

PS: I am probably going to change the two 256MB sticks to 512MB soon, but is it a good idea? Than probably the VGA will work on 128MB too! :blink:

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I am probably going to change the two 256MB sticks to 512MB soon, but is it a good idea? Than probably the VGA will work on 128MB too!

More RAM is generally a good idea :whistling: . If you can, get one 1GB stick instead of 2 x 512MB. Otherwise you are paying for one GB but only increasing by 512MB (ie you can't use the two 256MB sticks anymore). This will also give you the option of increasing the RAM beyond 1.25 GB later.

How much you need depends on the rest of your hardware configuration (there is always a weakest link in the chain that slows all else down), and what applications you want to run. Gaming, image/video/audio editing are very RAM hungry.

The other thing to check is the maximum RAM capacity of your motherboard (should say in the specs or motherboard manual).

Also be careful to remove any static charge you may have accumulated before you handle your RAM (do this by touching a largish metal object). RAM and static aren't good bedpartners :blink: .

Digikiwi