Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A hardisk corrupted/unreadable?

• Please log in to reply

shotgunweddingx7

shotgunweddingx7

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
So here's my story. A couple days ago I started up my computer as usual. Except this time, right before the "WINDOWS XP" loading screen comes up, I got a black screen with a little white pixel-y loading bar at the bottom. It loaded and disappeared rather quickly and went right to the Windows XP loading screen, so I didn't think much of it, and simply ignored it. Then, for a week I went on vacation and of course, I had shut my computer down before I left. When I returned, the first thing I did was start up my computer again. (I'm a very avid computer user.) The same thing happened, and the pixel-y loading bar took about the same amount of time to load, so again, I thought nothing of it. By this time, I assumed that the loading bar was for Windows, or something of the sort.

But now here's where it gets interesting. A few days ago we had a big lightining storm. So naturally, I shut down the computer. Then I decided to go out to dinner with my father. Upon return, the pour was out. We didn't get it back until nine hours later. So then I turned on the computer, and the loading bar took a longer time than usual. But the computer did start up, so I waited for my programs to load. But as I started to do my daily things, the computer froze up. I waited a few minutes, and still no progress. So I had to shut it off. When I tried to turn it back on, the loading bar took quite a bit of time to load. But then it proceeded to the Windows XP loading screen, but it wouldn't cut to the part where I selected my username and typed in my password. After about seven minutes of waiting, I turned it off and tried again. Same thing happened. So I turned it off, turned it back on, and tried to boot into safe mode. Still no luck; the computer restarted itself and it proceeded to boot up in the normal way. So I went off to watch some television for a while, leaving the computer to load.

When I came back, it had moved onto a blue screen, but not the log in one. It said "Windows XP is preforming a hardisk check..." something something. And it started listing a large number of files, and every single one of them said "unreadable". When the check had completed, it said "Hardisk Check Finished", but did nothing. So I restarted it again and I still could not get onto the computer. Frustrated, I left it off for two days.

But this morning, my dad had planned to take it to my cousin to try and fix. But my dad turned it on one last time to see if it was going to work, and left for breakfast. When he came back, the log in screen had appeared, and he woke me up to tell me. I came in here, logged in, but was immediately greeted by an alert popup saying "So and so file can not be found for Windows" or something like that. (Maybe I should've written it down.) And I waited for all my programs to load and such, and I was greeted by another alert message that said, "Windows has recovered from a serious system problem." And then it gave me the option of sending an error report, which I did.

It also took me to a webpage where it tried to download something for Microsoft Front Page. It wouldn't work, however, and another alert message popped up saying, "Check to see if you have the folder "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office" and if you have the authority to access it, then click retry. I thought I had it, so I clicked retry. Same thing happened. So I went to see if I had the folder, and I did. I attempted to click on it, but it said "Microsoft Office is not accessable. The folder has been corrupted and is unreadable."

So at this point, I am unsure of what to do, and I am only going to assume [the worst] that a lot of other files involving Windows are corrupted as well. I am afraid of rebooting again to see if it will still let me on, because it might not. Hopefully I won't have to try until this is fixed...

Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks you so much in advance.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
do start > run > chkdsk /f when it asks for you to schedule the check on next reboot say yes and reboot (this is gonna do that bluescreen with the checkdisk stuff again...but this time it will try to fix the errors)...let this run untill it's finished

shotgunweddingx7

shotgunweddingx7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Okay, I ran chkdsk /f, and it came up in one of those black boxes. It said "Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use of another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y and hit enter still, or no?
(Just making sure.)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yep...type Y...hit enter...then restart

shotgunweddingx7

shotgunweddingx7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Okay, just one last question.
(Sorry if I'm being annoying, I just don't want to screw things up further.)
Once it's done with the chkdsk, do I reboot it again, or will it bring me to the log in screen soon after?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it will (should) bring you right into the login screen once it's done (maybe 45 min for the whole process)

shotgunweddingx7

shotgunweddingx7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Okay. Thanks so much! I'm gonna go try that now. :whistling: