Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP does not start, system reboots automatically

• Please log in to reply

vinasg

vinasg

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am not sure if this is a S/w or H/w issue so I will post it here too for some suggestions.

I just upgarded the MOBO to ECS P4M800-Pro V 1.0A and P4 processore (Pentium 4 506 2.66GHz) with 1G DDR2 PC4200 (533MHz) 1 mem module.
I mounted the old HD (I want to keep all the data, programs etc) and old DVD and CD-ROM drives.

I changed the BIOS Set up to recognize the HD and CD-ROMs etc., set the boot devices etc.
The system is using on board video, audio, lan and USB etc. No other cards.
The system boots up, goes through its memroy check, detects the drives, then I get an error message saying XP did not start properly with options to start in Safe mode, Safe mode with network,...., normal mode etc.

Whichever mode I choose, it suddenly gives a blank screen, and "RGB Input not detected" message (which I usually get when the monitor is turned on before the CPU boots up), then CPU reboots, ending with XP start options again.
The HD is ok, since it worked in the old system.
Did I miss any step in set up or anything?
Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You cannot do what you tried to do. When you install Windows. it installs itself for a very specific setup. By placing an active Windows installation in a new machine, you hosed your OS installation.

You can sometimes--sometimes--run a windows repair (http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html) on the very first start , but after attempting to start an OS as you have done, you have almost certainly damaged the installation beyond repair.

The question at this point is what to do next.

Your best bet is to simply drop your harddrive in a second machine, recover your data, then wipe out the drive and do a clean install

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for your response. Is this true even if I havent changed any of my periferals but only MOBO, Mem and CPU? My HD, DVD, CD, Monitor are all exactly same. I just upgraded the MOBO, Mem and CPU.
I am using all the on board functionality, no additional cards, like I had on my previous system.

I thought of doing what you suggetsed, but I am hoping I can avoid transporting all data, resinatlling XP etc.
And since I wasnt changing any periferals I was hoping I could at least get the safe mode operating and then try to upgrade any drivers etc if needed.

Is there a way to stop automatic reboot and check what is causing it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What is causing it is the new motherboard

The motherboard and CPU ARE the computer, essentially. If you have swapped out other parts, you would have been OK.

What you did is analogous to a drunk waking up in the wrong house...the OS has no idea where it is or how it got there and is so confused it can do nothing ubut bump into walls

You can try and run the repair I highlighted above, but I have never had this work successfully AFTER you tried to start the PC after moving the drive. The only time I have had this work is when I ran a repair directly after the install.

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks, I'll bite the bullet. Hopefully I can put the HD back with the original MOBO and try to bring it up so that I can recover the data.
Hope I can do that? Or do I need to put it in as a second HD in another m/c?
If so, I'll just get anothr HD, load new OS on it and use this HD as a data back up?
Does that make sense?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, you will not be able to do that, sadly, because of the OS was ruined.

You can setup a new OS on a new harddrive and use it as a backup.

You could also install windows on the same drive if you wished, but you cannot repair the old install.

In your case, if you do not need any extra space, I would drop the drive in another machine, rename c:\windows as c:\winbak, c:\programfiles as c:\pfbak and c:\documents and settings as c:\dsbak

Then drop the drive in a new machine install windows on the same drive and recover my data

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Gerryf: Wanted to say thank you for your help. The system is now up and running. I put in a new drive, reloaded Windows XP Pro, Got all the updates etc, loaded the old drive as a second drive for data recovery. Will leave it for back up. Now am working on getting Office loaded and updated. Will take a while but eventually I will get there with most of the prgrams. Wish someone can desig a way to load the machine with programs and data w/o all the hassles. Thank you again