Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iecachelist

• Please log in to reply

Sandiaman

Sandiaman

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i am trying to run a program called iecachlist but it is a DOS command promp program. I have not used DOS in some time and have forgotten how to run it and direct it. i forgot how to prompr for help on it also. ijust keep getting syntax errors. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
place the exe in the root of your c drive (place it directly into c:\)

now do start > run > cmd
once you get the command prompt up ( should say c:\\ if it doesnt type "cd .." without the quotes and press enter...repeat that till you just have c:\\ )type IECacheList.exe and the program will run

http://www.exodus-de...ist/Default.asp their website has some usefull info

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
slightly easier use

when you get to the c:\ prompt type

iecachelist.exe > iecachelist.txt

this will "pipe" the output of the program to a text file on the c drive...it will make it easier to read as if you have a large amount of info in there you won't be able to see all the output in the command window

Sandiaman

Sandiaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the info looks like I am getting closer. The furthest i can get my c prompt to is c:\\>. I tried the iecashelist.exe > iecachlist.txt. as this looks familuar to what i was told to do, but I am getting a message that says"is not recocnized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". I know it is something basic that i am missing as the IT people showed me how to run it but i made the mistake of giving them the impresion that i knew some DOS, I think just because i recognized it as being DOS. Big mistake, they lost me on the second sentence and never slowed down. I don't wan't to get in line for IT help again. I hate that "Your pathetic look" the IT people give you when you ask questions. HA HA I am not sure if it makes a difference but the program is currently in my "My Documents" Folder. I tried the website and agian I need a little refresher. I haven't really used DOS in about 10 years. How pathetic I know. Microsoft just makes things to easy.

Sandiaman

Sandiaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
bump

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the IEcachelist.exe program file needs to be in your C:\\ drive...like...in the c drive not in a folder on the c drive (technically it doesn't have to be there...but it's the easiest method)