Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem when joining to a windows domain

• Please log in to reply

Badlogin

Badlogin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I messed up the domain configuration of my company computer. By mistake I've erased the domain association while trying to join to a workgroup. When I try to fix things up, I am asked to login with a domain admin account. I don't have such an account and I can't ask the our company's sysadmin (I might be in serious trouble). Is it possible to join my company domain without using the domain admin account ?

Besides, I have a backup of my disk image with a valid network configuration. Is it possible to get back some valid config files in order to recover the association with the company domain ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, you need a valid domain admin account to join a domain.

Restoring the image would, of course, restore you to the network.

Restoring the parts of files necessary to restore you to the network piecemeil is likely not possible.

It is unlikely you will get in trouble--people do this all the time when they take their computers home and try to print from home networks or get files from home PCs

Sysadmins expect it.