Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC, sporadic Application Hangs

• Please log in to reply

Divineavatar

Divineavatar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I recently built a new pc.

Rough spec is as follows:

MotherBoard: Asus A8N32 SLi.
CPU: Athlon 64 FX-60 2,6Ghz.
RAM: Corsair 4Gb.
Graphics: Quad 7900 GTX
SoundCard: Fatal1ty Soundblaster.
4x SATA HDD
900W PSU - SLi Enable.

then the normal bits, cd rom, floppy, etc...

I've updating the system with the latest drivers where I could.
AV and Adaware are also fully updated and have scaned the system.

My main problem I'm experiencing is application hangs. more so when playing games.
But it can be games, internet browser, even just the OS (xp pro) when sitting there.
The Hangs are also chaotic in the sense that they do not trigger due to similar user operations. they can occur at any time, and at any frequency.
(Frequency = either once a day, or a few times during one day etc...)

Does anyone know of a possible solution/cause, or have had a similar type of problem?

If any more info is required, then those out there with the know how, please ask, if it'll help lead to a possible diagnosis.

Many thanks.

Edited by Divineavatar, 05 July 2006 - 10:19 AM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hello,

I recently built a new pc.

Rough spec is as follows:

MotherBoard: Asus A8N32 SLi.
CPU: Athlon 64 FX-60 2,6Ghz.
RAM: Corsair 4Gb.
Graphics: Quad 7900 GTX
SoundCard: Fatal1ty Soundblaster.
4x SATA HDD
900W PSU - SLi Enable.

then the normal bits, cd rom, floppy, etc...

I've updating the system with the latest drivers where I could.
AV and Adaware are also fully updated and have scaned the system.

My main problem I'm experiencing is application hangs. more so when playing games.
But it can be games, internet browser, even just the OS (xp pro) when sitting there.
The Hangs are also chaotic in the sense that they do not trigger due to similar user operations. they can occur at any time, and at any frequency.
(Frequency = either once a day, or a few times during one day etc...)

Does anyone know of a possible solution/cause, or have had a similar type of problem?

If any more info is required, then those out there with the know how, please ask, if it'll help lead to a possible diagnosis.

Many thanks.

By application hangs more so when playing games, does that mean while you have a game up and you alt tab out of it and you do many other things at the same time while the game is up??

It can be a virus or adware or malware doing that..

Have you went over to the malware section and submitted a report or posted over their yet? It can be several things but it sounds like malware/adware or a virus of some type..

Divineavatar

Divineavatar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. i'll have to have a look into posting there too.

But ive scanned the system with both AV and Adaware and they didnt detect anything.
I have had 1-2 bluescreens (closed far too fast to read, and the pc rebooted). but checking event viewer, it did log an error where the help link suggested about 2/3 of the possibles a virus of some sort.

thanks.