Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After installing SP2 computer continously restarts

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
c:\windows\windowsupdate.log
but given that information, it is probably not relevent

When you installed XP, did you install any drivers before going to sp2?

can you start in safe mode with sp2?

Advertisements

kdmems12

kdmems12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I did not install any additional drivers other than what windows itself installed.

Yes I can start in safe mode with SP2. That's how I can get in to uninstall SP2 to get the computer back to running. I can not start it in safe mode with networking if that makes any difference.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so....you were not uninstalling sp2 the way I advised? That little tidbit was kind of important.

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

The problem here is almost certainly a driver, and I suspect a video or network driver.

kdmems12

kdmems12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
The BSOD error was as follows:

RQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0x00000000A (0x4B733C8C, 0x0000002, 0x00000001, 0x805129E7)