Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internal Speaker problem

• Please log in to reply

Fakeplasticteeth

Fakeplasticteeth

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My computer starts up fine and works fine most times

however

it goes through phases where my internal speaker (i think) stars making a high pitch sound that starts at random, and doesnt go off untill i turn the computer off

i have to get lucky for it to not happen again, however just now i have turned on 4 times and it has done it each time within 30 seconds of being on

i cant put up with this

can someone help???

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
It may be that the internal system speaker is acting as an alarm. Typically, the alarm will sound in the event of either the cpu or the system overheating. It may also be triggered by incorrect voltages (cpu or on one of the power rails).

If you don't already have a way of monitoring the temps etc, then try Everest :
http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

Run everest then select the Computer->sensor branch in the left pane. See if your cpu & system (motherboard) temps are reported & let me know what they are.

Fakeplasticteeth

Fakeplasticteeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey, thanks for the help

ive found that my cpu is 60 degrees C
and my motherboard is 29 degrees C

what can i do to sort this out or how can i turn off the alarm or get it to beep then stop rarther than being continuos

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

The overheating threshold that triggers the alarm is normally set in the bios. EG if it is currently set to 65C, then as soon as the cpu temp reaches 65C, the alarm will sound.
Obviously you can stop this from happening by increasing the threshold but that's not normally advisable - depends on what it is currently set to.

What type of cpu do you have?
Also, I suggest that you monitor the cpu temp, especially while the system is under heavy load. The system temp is fine but your cpu temp is a bit high.