Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How Do I Get Rid of Error on Login Screen?

• Please log in to reply

Athena28

Athena28

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

Everytime I start my computer, I see the attached screen.

We bought this system new so it is genuine.

We called MS but they said we're stuck w/it. Does anyone know anyway I can get rid of it so it doesn't show up everytime I log on?

Thank you.

Win XP Pro
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
Intel [R]
Pentium [R]
4 CPU 2.40GHz
2.40 GHz, 480 MB of RAM
Email - Outlook 2000
Word 2000
Quicken 2005 Deluxe Release R4
QuickBooks Pro 2005

Attached Thumbnails

• MS_Genuine__7.5.06.JPG

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just because you bought it new does not mean it is genuine....you could very well have a dishonest PC maker

What happens when you click "Get Genuine"

Since MS has released an official method of suppressing this message, I will point you in the right direction

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

This will NOT MAKE YOU GENUINE OR SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM

There have been numerous reports of problems with the WGA notification program, and there is also two lawsuits against it

As suchm, Microsoft has released a method for disabling that error--BUT, this does not make you genuine. It simple makes that message go away during the pilot project. At some point in the future, when the pilot project is finalized, this issue will return and you could even find yourself in a position where your PC will lock you out.

For the present, this will get rid of the message, but even so, you will still NOT be able to download certain updates.

You really need to address whether this is or is not genuine with Microsoft

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Wow, thanks. I didn't realize there could be such consequences.

When I press 'genuine' they want me to buy a new copy and, of course, I'd prefer not to.

Maybe I'll leave it as is.

Thanks again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I thought that there was a link to report the person who sold you a potentially illegal copy--and as a result, you would be provided with a low cost/free copy (this is intended to protect users who have been deceived by unscrupulous pc makers)

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hmm...that's interesting. I only thought the link was to get a genuine copy. But it looks as if you're right in that according the MS my copy isn't genuine. That really bites as this is a totally new system we got maybe a year ago.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it is to get a genuine copy, but you have to turn in the guy who built your system

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok.