Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Opera Internet Browser

• Please log in to reply

Jzrith

Jzrith

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Who here is using it and do you guys believe it's better than Firefox? ...and safer?
I'm thinking of downloading this because I hear it's so much faster than Mozilla Firefox.

Advertisements

RunninTwentiFo7

RunninTwentiFo7

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
personally, i prefer opera over firefox because it is noticeably faster than firefox. although it might not have extensions like firefox does, it has other nifty features :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I use it, thought i would try it after reading how good it is and reading some reviews on browser comparisons where it comes up trumps every time. Also alot of features i was using extensions to get in FF were standard on opera. Its alot faster as well in startup and page loading, handles bookmarks and tabs better, good RSS reader excellent irc support, can use torrents has alot of great features its media handling is a bit better than FF as well in my opinion.

I was only going to try it for a couple days but couldnt bring myself to switch back.

Security wise its as good as FF if not better the biggest security advantage isnt anything really special its just they arent IE.

Edited by warriorscot, 05 July 2006 - 04:53 PM.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
get both and decide which one you like better.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Biggest drawback for me was that IE will not recognise an Opera bookmarks file (either proprietary or html), so if you used opera for a while and added a whole load of new bookmarks to it, then decided to go back to IE (for example when IE7 is finalised), you can't import your Opera bookmarks into IE.

That's one area where Firefox beats Opera. IE will import a Firefox bookmark file no problem.

Edited by pip22, 08 July 2006 - 05:01 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Easy solved, bookmark back to FF then to IE, mind you switching from opera back to IE is like driving a punto after spending all your time in a Jag.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Easy solved, bookmark back to FF then to IE, mind you switching from opera back to IE is like driving a punto after spending all your time in a Jag.

Yes I knew how to do that but that's hardly the point. I would have to install FF just to convert my bookmarks from Opera so I could get them into IE --- er.... no thanks!

Your comment about Opera being like a Jag compared to IE's Punto just doesn't stand up to scrutiny
in my experience. I'm using the latest beta of IE7 and it's every bit as fast as Opera but without the clunky bits, all the plugins will work in IE7 without having to jump through hoops to get them working (as I often had to do when I used Opera, and FF to a lesser degree).

Edited by pip22, 09 July 2006 - 03:50 AM.

jhempelayo

jhempelayo

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
OPERA 9
"addition of BitTorrent support, letting you drop a Torrent link into the address bar and begin a file transfer immediately without the need for an extra app"

battle of browser
http://reviews.cnet.....ml?tag=fea_txt

Wallis

Wallis

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I started using Opera a month ago or so, and I love it. I still have Firefox on my computer though because my Google Calender doesn't work as well for some reason, but I use Opera for everything else, it's great.