Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help please with Network/Net

• Please log in to reply

Shadow_assn

Shadow_assn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ight heres my problem.

A few days ago we had a storm, this knocked out my router/modem/one of my Ethernet cards.

Well, I invested in some new ones and now I have a problem.

Both computers are using XP.

I plug in the cords to both of my comps, and then I reset my modem and router.
The first computer I turn on the internet works fine for, the second computer I turn on has "Limited connection or no connection"
This is confusing to me as it always worked fine beforehand.

I think the problem is something to do with both computers requesting the same Gateway, (as if I type in ipconfig, the default gateway is blank) and the second computer that requests it doesn't get the gateway, and it doesnt try for a few one.

I installed the patch by microsoft...no help there.

I think I just need a way to make it so one computer uses one gateway, and the other uses a different gateway. I don't know how to change it so it doesn't automatically choose one. I wan't to be able to set it up manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not a computer illiterate, I will understand anything you tell me to do, just a little push in the right direction and I am sure I can do it.

Thanks greatly.

Jake.

Advertisements

Shadow_assn

Shadow_assn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Maybe its a problem with DHCP...

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
In the properties of your LAN connection, double-click Internet Settings (TCP/IP)
There you can configure if you want your IP-address automaticly (DHCP) or not.
Also, you can manualy configure your gateway there.

Is this what you are looking for?

greetz

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there is only one gateway per network, so they must use the same gateway

need several pieces of information

who setup your network originally?

Your router should be setup as a router and dhcp server. The router may be required to clone the MAC ADDRESS of the original machine on the network. For example, if you have comcast, they authenticate your network with a mac address.

Since one machine can get through, I wonder if that machine was originally the only machine, then you added the router and the second machine. Whoever set that up, did they clone the mac address from the original machine so the router could authenticate the network connection?